National Brood Box to 14x12 query.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
Here goes, this season, we changed our brood boxes from National Deep to 14x12 by putting new box on top with some brood from the lower box to entice the bees up. This worked well, then over the course of time, we moved the deep brood box on top of 14x12 over QE, while waiting for the remaining brood to emerge. When this had happened, we wanted to get the national brood box off, so we moved it to the top of the supers over an open crownboard with one small hole to encourage the bees to remove the honey and take it down into the brood box below. The problem is that the bees are not removing the honey, they appear to be putting more in. There is also a lot of pollen stored in these frames. Is there a better way to get them to move the stores down below and what can I do with all this pollen. Any advice please.

Bees don't like honey below the brood. Put supers below BB. Put crownboard between BB and supers. Put in an entrance block to protect from robbers.

have you 'bruised' the honey, ie run your hive tool over to break the cappings/cells and release the honey?

Supposed to encourage them to take it down

Bees don't like honey below the brood. Put supers below BB. Put crownboard between BB and supers. Put in an entrance block to protect from robbers.

This is what I did at the end of the last two seasons. I put half filled/capped supers under and the bees moved all the honey up leaving me clean drawn supers to store for the next year.

No suggestions for the pollen, but why not just extract those Nat Deep frames?
Its all good honey!
Many extractors will take the frames ...

Latest posts

Back