Eggs in the supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
On an inspection today on a hive with a single deep broodbox, QE then 3 supers, i found larvae in the supers with honey being moved to the brood frames
Whats the best method to get the queen back down to the brood box?

She must has been on the QE on the last inspection and i must have put it in upside down.

Thanks

either find her and put her back on the brood box or shake all the bees, a frame at a time into the brood box, put the QE on and replace the supers - put all the frames with brood in the shallow nearest the brood box

Reactions: Nbw
Thanks for the reply.
Shaking 30 frames, storing them then putting them back was a lot harder than i imagined. Still hopefully the queen is now back in the bedroom!

First find her. If you can’t pick her up make a gap in the brood box between frames and gently shake her down holding the shallow frame inside the box.

I recently had a similar situation, queen was definitely below the queen excluder!
There were only around half a dozen unsealed very young larvae in 1 of the 3 supers. Stupidly, I removed them, in hindsight I should have waited to see what they developed into.
I assumed the bees had carried them into the super or a worker had laid them, inspected too late to see if there were multiple eggs laid for that scenario!
Any thoughts anyone, bearing in mind this queen is a prolific layer and I would've expected multiple frames to be laid out if I had let her get up there!

I assumed the bees had carried them into the super or a worker had laid them, inspected too late to see if there were multiple eggs laid for that scenario!
Any thoughts anyone
bees don't move eggs into supers, it's just laying workers - every hive has them

Latest posts

Back