Clearing supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I am clearing down the 4 supers on my hive and leaving 1 empty super in its place.

Upon removing the supers the bees were very very Angy. I didn't get a chance to do an inspection yesterday when I removed the supers.

Am I best to leave it a few days or should I inspect today since it's 7 days since.my.last inspection?

bees were very very Angy
If forage has dried up in your area then at this time of years bees may become (but are not always) defensive of stores. If you want to get the supers off then go ahead, but as JBM said, no need to inspect the BB every 7 days. Wait until a flow starts (ivy, watch the buds) and then do a final check.

Are you certain that the colony is queenright?

If forage has dried up in your area then at this time of years bees may become (but are not always) defensive of stores. If you want to get the supers off then go ahead, but as JBM said, no need to inspect the BB every 7 days. Wait until a flow starts (ivy, watch the buds) and then do a final check.

Are you certain that the colony is queenright?
Thanks both.
This is my second year and still learning so appreciate the comments so far

Last week I was queen right with a strong colony working with 1 brood box and 4 supers on.

Interesting. Maybe I will leave them to calm down after the disruption of moving the supers off

Again, thanks for your replies.

moving the supers off
And are you sure there are stores in the brood?
Dani's question should alert you to ensure the bees have enough to eat until the ivy starts. If no forage at all is coming or rain prevents flying, two full DN frames (2.25kg each) or the equivalent in part-filled frames will prevent colony starvation for one week.

When you take off the supers check the weight of the BB: lift slightly with one hand at the back of the floor. If light, either leave a super or feed syrup in small quantities (1 or 2 litres at a time) until the ivy starts.

Hi all

I am clearing down the 4 supers on my hive and leaving 1 empty super in its place.

Upon removing the supers the bees were very very Angy. I didn't get a chance to do an inspection yesterday when I removed the supers.

Am I best to leave it a few days or should I inspect today since it's 7 days since.my.last inspection?
Was each of your supers brim-full of bees? If so, condensing them into one super (drawn comb or foundation?) might explain their anger.

You removed a large amount of their stores and there is little coming in, this can trigger defensiveness in some colonies, just like when a flow ends. Not always the case but with current conditions I wouldn't be surprised.
Did you mean an inspection on the same day you pulled the supers or days after?
And how full is that last super?

Latest posts

Back