Drones appearing - Kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian4983

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I’ve just completed the first inspection on my 4 colonies 3 overwintered on a super over a brood box and the final hive was a brood/super/brood setup. All 4 were bursting with bees with eggs/larvae at all stages …. I was staggered how well they’d come through.

One of the hives harboured a good number of drones and drone cells and I wondered if forum folks through a early split would be a good idea? I’m keen to avoid an early swarm and move ahead to a great honey season.

The brood/super/brood box was an autumn last minute ‘2 hive combine’ which is also doing well …. No drones yet. Each of the two brood boxes have eggs and larvae. Could I separate them now (split) and wait for a new Queen to be produced in one of the boxes?

You say Kent, where exactly? Some parts are more remote than others ;)

I've had emerged drones the past couple of weekends in Ashford, though noticeably more yesterday than the previous weekend. All my hives have a decent amount of drone brood in too. From a drone standpoint I'd say you're good to go with splits, you just need the weather to play nicely for mating flights.

Plenty of drones in my hives down here in Somerset! I wouldn't split to avoid swarming unless you are doing an artificial swarm. Just a split will reduce numbers and cut back foraging

Yes emerged drones in mine atm very few when I did the first inspections and numbers behind previous years. I’ll probably try some grafts this week or weekend.

You’re already half way to a Demereé with your BB/Super/BB set up
You could do the same with your other hives if you have the kit & find any QCs
Or even preemptive
Otherwise splitting your colonies will impact your honey crop. With a Demeree they’re still all filling the same supers
PS I’m on the Isle of Sheppey. Have drone brood but yet to emerge
Good luck

You could do the same with your other hives if you have the kit & find any QCs
Or even preemptive
A Demarree is a preemptive manipulation if you do it after finding QCs - it ain't a Demarree

First inspection of my home made National long hive yesterday (north Manchester) in February over 2 day inspection of the varroa boards was showing 13 frames of brood. Well yesterday 6 almost sealed Queen cells , all 34 frames almost full with very little space, 23 frames full of BIAS.
Put Q in a Nuc and made up 2 new double brood hives.
View attachment IMG_7836.MOV

keen to avoid an early swarm and move ahead to a great honey season
Then don't split, but give space now and regularly.

Drones are routine yet you seem wary of them, as if drones = swarming.

A super over a BB is not enough laying space: double brood now. Bring a few frames of open brood up into the centre of the new box, condense the brood below, fill flanks of both boxes with foundation or comb.

Every week take a foundation frame or two and put them in the centre of the nest, alternating with existing combs.

Take out BB stores frames, put the super back above a QX (shake bees down first) and if you want to over-winter with a super, nadir it next time.

Strong colonies make honey, splits make work.

You say Kent, where exactly? Some parts are more remote than others ;)

I've had emerged drones the past couple of weekends in Ashford, though noticeably more yesterday than the previous weekend. All my hives have a decent amount of drone brood in too. From a drone standpoint I'd say you're good to go with splits, you just need the weather to play nicely for mating flights.
As far as the weather playing nicely, does the weather need to be "nice" (above a certain temperature at night etc.) to make a split or nuc if using a mated Queen?

Also if I am trying to get my own Queen, what does nice enough mean? Warm and good weather for the mating flights? A time when drones congregation areas and populations are plentiful?

Thanks a lot!

make a split or nuc if using a mated Queen
Go ahead now.

Warm and good weather for the mating flights? A time when drones congregation areas and populations are plentiful?
Yes & yes, the two unknowns, but probably a little early. Where do you keep bees? Advice is better if we know because weather varies widely and has the greatest impact on success.

As far as the weather playing nicely, does the weather need to be "nice" (above a certain temperature at night etc.) to make a split or nuc if using a mated Queen?

Also if I am trying to get my own Queen, what does nice enough mean? Warm and good weather for the mating flights? A time when drones congregation areas and populations are plentiful?

Thanks a lot!
Plenty of drones around and a period of warm sunshine rather than wind and rain, the rest is more in your control as you can find ways to keep them tucked up warm on cold nights.
How is your weather at the moment?

Plenty of drones around and a period of warm sunshine rather than wind and rain, the rest is more in your control as you can find ways to keep them tucked up warm on cold nights.
How is your weather at the moment?
It is 80 today but the forecast looks awful. Highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s for the next week or so.

Latest posts

Back