National Bee Unit husbandry survey 2011

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Has anyone else had this letter requesting the completion of their survey? Reason I ask is because they did not include the reply paid envelope and I have no idea where to send back my response.

Polite answers on a postcard please! ;)

I got and it came with a reply paid envelope, its a shame that I got my bees in April and I was thus "NA" for nearly every answer

Last edited:
I got and it came with a reply paid envelope, its a shame that I got my bees in April and I was thus "NA" for nearly every answer

Don't suppose you still have the envelope with the address on it do you? If so can you let me know what the address is?

Is it just National Bee Unit, The Food and Environment Research Agency, Sand Hutton, York, UK, YO41 1LZ?

Yes, I'd go with that too....

What does said survey want to know??

Hives going into and out of 2010, disease, food given, treatments, honey taken. The usual questions I guess.

Never had the questionnaire before. Think the covering letter said its been going on for years and they have been collecting data this way quite successfully.

I have been selected at random. No prize for sending it back tho :-(

Don't suppose you still have the envelope with the address on it do you? If so can you let me know what the address is?

Is it just National Bee Unit, The Food and Environment Research Agency, Sand Hutton, York, UK, YO41 1LZ?

I have also been asked to complete the survey the address you have quoted is the same as the prepayed envelope that came with the paper work

It is a general survey asking about all aspects of beekeeping ranging from what exames you have taken to have you bought bees or how many splits have you made, what varroa treatments do you use, basically they want to know the in's and out of a ducks backside. a bit big brotherish (if thats a word) but if it gives them a better insite in todays beekeeping practises it can only be a good thing :)

a bit big brotherish (if thats a word) but if it gives them a better insite in todays beekeeping practises it can only be a good thing :)

Yes, very.

AND

Why?

More ABC information in very concise form would be a great help.

More of the £10.5 M channeled into honeybee disease research would have been helpful too. Most of it went on the sudden urge to use the EU 'honeybee money' to study pollinators when the glee at such a vast sum spread into a whole new tranche of 'other' department activity.

wasting a few minutes on a survey which helps keep NBU up to date with what everyone is doing and how UK beekeeping is faring is surely a good thing and better than the alternative - compulsory registration and annual census (with fines for non compliance).

Pretty sure I received this back in March/April. Sorry can't remember the address it want back to, but an email to the NBU would clarify for you

Yep - I had one of these come on Monday - I filled mine in quite happily - anything with a reply paid envelope that looks vaguely interesting will get my reply!

They just wanted to know about colony increase/loss over the last couple of years - alas, only having got my bees last year - all the dates they requested resulted in me answering a big fat ZERO for most answers... but I figure, they need responses from new beeks too!

I'm happy to help the NBU with anything they're up to - I can't believe they're out to "big brother" me... there are far scarier organisations out there, that know FAR more about me! :eek:

Latest posts

Back