Nadiring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have harvested an exceptionally good crop of honey this year from my 4 hives and removed the last 6 frames of capped honey yesterday. Each hive has a single super, each of which has several pounds of uncapped honey in it.
My plan, in a week or two, is to remove the supers, treat by vaporising, then put the supers back under each of my brood and a halves. My questions are as follows,
Do I then just leave them there for the winter?
How should I then assess how much feed to give them?

You can remove them when empty which is usually mid winter, or on first inspection. But.....you may find brood in them anyway because the food in the BB may not have been used so the brood will have moved down. I prefer to leave on the top with no queen excluder and on first inspection make sure the queen is in the BB. Put the qe back on and let brood emerge. At that time there are no drones so it is easier.

Use luggage scales to get the weight. Weighing one side I like to get to 20lbs with brood and super and no roof

Back