My Trip for Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alantw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello Folks, I'm Alan ex owner driver , I ran my own truck for 35yrs and finish up on the Isle of Tiree ,so where do truck's and bees get together you as , well a long time ago say 60 yrs ago i went to Stinchcombe , nr. Dursley ,to stay with my aunt who feed my home made soda bread ,home made butter and Honey ! Oh what food , this was a real treat so as life does it moves on but I've never forgotten this good basic grub , so years later i started to bake my own soda bread ,bought a jersey cow made butter off to the Coop and bought honey off the shelf sorry to say not a patch on my Aunt's grand fare ,bread and butter were fine but the Honey was a let down ,now the search for Honey start's ,tried honey from all over I'd go in shop's as i travelled the country buying jars of honey some were excellent, some not as good , Aunt Vera bought her honey from a lady at the side of the road heading out of Dursley towards Stroud nice area .So now sat on Tiree ,retied with only the Coop selling honey ,to the internet, I'm buy in honey off eBay this i find come from abroad ,there must be Honey to be hade in the U.K. my nieces in Derbyshire have husbands who have bee , alas no honey yet we are only just getting started ,so tell me about your bee's i ask ,mmm a lot I don't understand here ,so buy a book and learn ,yes all interesting stuff this bee keeping ,then back to the internet study some more ,OH what's this Beekeeping Forum this could be good . so that's how Truck's become Bee's, still searching for honey ,now searching for hive and bee's what a trip this is .
Many Thanks'

Hi google up your area local beekeeping associations some list courses events. Good luck …Ian

OH what's this Beekeeping Forum this could be good . so that's how Truck's become Bee's, still searching for honey ,now searching for hive and bee's what a trip this is .
And here you are. Welcome to the forum. It's a great place full of good and bad advice, some great people....some not so great; a microcosm.
Don't know about Tiree but there are beekeepers on Coll, Mull and Colonsay...famous for being free of varroa so whatever bees you get you should get from there.
Joining the Scottish Association might be a good start SBA Interactive forum
Ask there if they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your journey

Nice story. Welcome to the forum.

Hello Alan, welcome to the forum. Are there any beekeepers on Tiree - they could be a source of advice - unless they regard you as an unwanted competitor, especially if the forage is limited. We would be interested to know what nectar sources you have - maybe heather, clover or extensive machair?

Hello and welcome. Take good note of the advice from Erichalfbee about sourcing bees.
Home page of the SBA. you can browse most of the pages without being a member, plenty of ideas and information.
Try and make contact with Andrew Abrahams, he has kept bees on Colonsay for over 30 years - email: [email protected] telephone: 01951 200365 (not sure if these contact details are current but he also has a hand in the Oyster farm)

Why there are no trees in the Hebrides Islands? The landskape is too melancholic, probably the Paradise for introverts. :unsure:

On some islands they were all burnt down by Norsemen out a viking. Thar was true for Lewis and Harris anyway
Iceland was denuded by the Vikings. There is a joke in Iceland "What do you do if you get lost in the woods? ........... Stand up!"
Most trees are birches and only 4-5' high due to exposure and not ideal growing conditions.

Iceland was denuded by the Vikings
Technically there is no such person as a viking. Viking was just the Norse word for the act of marauding, raping and pillaging. For example "hey Olaf! what are you doing this weekend? It's Sven's stag do - fancy a quick spin to Stornoway to do a bit of viking? all the boys are coming, should be a bit of a blast, some naughty prankster has gone and glued a pair of cow horns onto Sven's new Sunday helmet! he's not happy!!"

Technically there is no such person as a viking. Viking was just the Norse word for the act of marauding, raping and pillaging. For example "hey Olaf! what are you doing this weekend? It's Sven's stag do - fancy a quick spin to Stornoway to do a bit of viking? all the boys are coming, should be a bit of a blast, some naughty prankster has gone and glued a pair of cow horns onto Sven's new Sunday helmet! he's not happy!!"
Ah,
I was just referring the the Vikings that the Norse guys had in Iceland.... "hey Olaf, you fancy a weekend viking in Reykjavik?.... do I bit of pillaging etc then use all the trees to make new boats to get back home and burn down a few forests?" :giggle:

It seems to me that many places in the world have worse conditions but there are some trees and even forests. For example, subarctic climate, permafrost, 9 months long winter...

Thank you for your answers.

The version that people cut down forest in the past may be true as for example in the Mediterranian region, Middle East ot the island of Easter. Then the ecosystem could not restore, the soil degraded etc.

Hello Alan, welcome to the forum. Are there any beekeepers on Tiree - they could be a source of advice - unless they regard you as an unwanted competitor, especially if the forage is limited. We would be interested to know what nectar sources you have - maybe heather, clover or extensive machair?
Hello I've found one guy on Tiree ,I went and spent a morning with him that was the start of finding how a hive work's because i did not have a clue so that was good .

Latest posts

Back