How can I begin my bee keeping journey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amelialovesbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello, my name is Amelia. I have always dreamed of starting bee keeping but have always put it off. Recently, I have decided to start it finally. However, it is very daunting and I’m not too sure what to buy and how to not spend too much money. Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum, as per Erichalfbee. Visit, join and learn at you local BBKA associatin training apiary.

As above, join you local Association. Mine runs free lessons for beginners.
If you can diy - and making hives is quite simple in woodworking terms - you can save a lot of money and if you are given a swam, that's free bees.
As a Scot, keeping bees is rivalled by saving money.:eek:

First join your local beekeeping association. Go to the training apiary to get a feel for bees. Take their winter theory course and start next year buying kit in the January sales. Get bees next spring.
Perfect advice, as I always tell people, I get really annoyed when people tell me they have brought a hive and want to know what they need to do

As above, join you local Association. Mine runs free lessons for beginners.
If you can diy - and making hives is quite simple in woodworking terms - you can save a lot of money and if you are given a swam, that's free bees.
As a Scot, keeping bees is rivalled by saving money.:eek:
The old adage about how to end up with a small fortune requires you to start with a large fortune is often closer to the truth.😉

The old adage about how to end up with a small fortune requires you to start with a large fortune is often closer to the truth.😉
Joining an Association is the first step and checking you are not allergic to Bee Stings would be advisable too, however you may have this knowledge. Anaphylactic shock is life threatening and frightening for everyone concerned.

very daunting and I’m not too sure what to buy and how to not spend too much money
Have you been inside a beehive, Amelia? If not, send me a PM and you can come to an apiary in Dagenham, go through a couple of colonies and see whether you like it. Bee suit will be provided.

Back