My thread. New bee keeper needing info. will update with pics of my project.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the sake of £20 or so, join an association and make connections. You ARE going to need them.

I will prob end up joining them but i was never one for joining associations because sometimes you get just as much of miss information as you do good info . Ill give them a ring in the new year and see when theyre next meeting is and ill pop along and see how it goes.

Im now liking the look of the tanzania TBH but will need to read up on it abit more. Am i thinking right that the super would be near a ft in height rather than the 6inch in the national hives.

Must be reading different books - I've never seen a tbh with supers. Warre, yes; Dartington, yes; Beehaus, yes; but not used commercially to produce honey in uk as far as I know.

Good luck with your new venture, I would defiantly join an association, some of the benefits are hundreds of years of experience, bulk buying, free insurance, good company, and someone to help when it goes t!ts up. "Bad advice" well different mostly

Bee stings are not that bad I'v had worst horsefly and dog bits

What ever hive type you decide to go with will probably be your biggest decision as changing types is expensive.

agree with other posts learn to walk before running, 2 or three hives to start with and 2 or 3 empty spare hives

If you do go for nationals made your self there are 2 options, deep or 14x12 brood boxes

plans/drawings please see link below, post 12 attached file

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16932&page=2

can you put pic so we can see what hive you are talking about thanks
i would defo do more reading up on bee keeping

Also, please be aware that whatever bees you set up in the area will influence those of your neighbours and, without wishing to open up the whole debate/argument about appropriate strains of bees, you will find that there are strong feelings on the issue in your locality.

P F

Is anyone in the association aloud to sell packages of bees to non members. I wont be joining any associations as ill be teaching myself along the way. What would be a good rate for 2 or 3 packages of bees.

In your first post you said you wanted start off with Irish bees. I am afraid that if you want package bees then it is going to be imports, and that is going to be double trouble when then mate with the local Irish. Your bees will become so Aggressive they will just about becapable of bursting the tyres on your car. Stick with your local bees. There is 2 very good associations in mayo. Join up and you will be surprised what benefits you will gain as well as a lot of new friends with a common interest.

capable of bursting the tyres on your car

that's the best description I've ever seen of the bees we are afraid of!

I wont be joining any associations as ill be teaching myself along the way.

Well done, good way to go, and i expect you will also learn more, much faster, and be much happier doing it your own way.

BKA membership may provide you with liability insurance.

My association (LRBKA) provide 3rd party liability product and liability insurance as part of the annual membership.

Is anyone in the association aloud to sell packages of bees to non members. I wont be joining any associations as ill be teaching myself along the way. What would be a good rate for 2 or 3 packages of bees.

you wont really get package bees in ireland but youll get an established colony with a laying queen handy enough, youll save money getting it straight from the association if your a member

You could try one of the bee bait sausage attractant pheremones to bring in a swarm
Bees for free
on eBuy at silly prices this week

Hi Irishguy

As someone at the end of first year I would say definitely join your local association. Yes you may get some bad advice, but you are likely to get a lot more good advice. I have learned a lot of things that I did not read in books (Including de Bruyn, new BBKA book, Hooper). It is also likely you could visit other apiaries, see visiting speakers etc.

As for the claims made by the advert you quoted I would agree with you...definitely sounds like bull**** from an unscrupulous dealer but you must be the judge of that...

Ray

In regard to joining an association. I joined the Dingwall association but due to the distance from where I live I was unable to attend any of the night meetings and have only been to two live demonstrations.

What I have gained however is a comforting option of knowing there is someone to call if I do get into problems.

Took 1 hive up to 4 hives and have raised my own queens, simply from books and the excellent knowledge that is shared freely on here.

I enjoy my association it’s a nice friendly place with often little bee chat I have even learnt to turn away and don’t let what I consider to be poor beekeeping practices at the apiary bother me any more but instead reach for the wonderful home made cakes that are always on offer.

I had very similar ambitions to you when I started. On the face of it, it seems like a nice way to make a living.

A couple of years in, I found it a hair raising prospect! When you consider losing some hives over winter, queens not getting mated, poor weather giving no honey to sell... I wouldn't want to rely on it to pay the mortgage.

4 hives this year, 60lb of honey. And I was lucky.

BUT, go for it and I wish you the best. I envy you :)

One final point about joining associations. Not essential but is a good source of advice and/or emergency queens/equipment! Equally good would just be a local beekeeper who you can turn to. Again, since I started, it's been invaluable. Bees don't read books, and if you're teaching yourself you could end up learning in a costly way- i.e. losing hives.

Just my opinions mind!

Do you really need £6k and a boat to catch crabs?

Back