My new hive ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thought you might like to see it ...... it's been a long journey after about four re-builds to incorporate changes and additions. Mostly made out of reclaimed timber and bits I had laying about. Most expensive bits were the catches, the mesh for the floor, the timber for the legs (which I, reluctantly, had to buy) the glue and the screws. Total cost, probably around £25.

It's a bit novel ... the whole bottom section detaches to get at the hive side of the mesh floor as and if required, there is a tray beneath the mesh floor which I'm using as a Varroa trap with a sticky sheet but I'm considering filling the tray with wood mulch and introducing one of the 'predator' mites that are currently being tested as a means of varroa control.

The frames are 14 x 12 size but all made by me with no foundation - just a triangular starter strip dribbled with a bit of Th's best organic beeswax and they are wired horizontally.

There's a periscope entrance and alternative entrances on the rear in case I need to split (not essential as I've a home made Nuc as well).

As you may have read elsewhere it's heavily insulated with HD polystyrene in a timber sandwich ...nearly 60mm in total ... the roof has similar insulation and there's room for some more on top of the crown boards come winter. There's no top ventilation and the vents at the bottom of the hive can be closed off with corks to suit ... we'll see how that works.

There's a few other bits to make life easier and I hope bee friendly, the interior has been varnished with a mixture of propolis dissolved in meths.

The bees were shook into it this afternoon and they didn't take a lot of pursuading .... no smoke, no water spray ... all very easy - I even managed to squash a couple when the retaining chain on the lid broke and the lid crashed down onto the front of the hive... still no reaction ! Good bees I think ..

It's in the back garden in a nice spot contained on two sides by 6' walls and fences and on the other sides by my greenhouse and workshop ... all well alway from neighbours and the flight path is almost straight up !

So ... there we have it. Would I recommend a new beekeeper to build a non-standard hive - probably not, unless they have lots of patience and a good workshop and tools and time - lots of time ! Did I benefit from the project - absolutely, it made me listen, learn, think, plan, build, replan, rebuild, learn more - and a lot of the ideas incorporated came from here. You are right Dusty, you can NEVER have enough crown boards in a hive like this !... Its been a good journey if a long one. I like what I've made and the only real disadvantage is the weight ... the amount of timber makes it VERY heavy - not that it matters as it's not going anywhere. The next one will maintain the design but I'm going to find a lighter method of construction. But for the time being ... it's bee time and something I'm looking forward to.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm sure they'll be very happy there ( as long as the chain doesn't break too often :) )

Is there a way of using supers, or are you planning to extract from 14 x 12s?

Would have thought this would be an exciting way of producing cut comb... no wires, no base foundation... now if you could get some of our Cornish black Amms, you would have the most wonderful white capped comb honey........... food for thought?

Looks great and a lot of thought has gone into it I hope it works for you.

Yes you know now a stronger chain is required personally not a fan of the hinge lid approach I will always be thinking it will come crashing down on my hand one day.

One more observation I take it your crown boards have a baton fixed to one side creating the beespace, if so they just may warp and twist, as they are more stable when balanced with the same section of baton on both sides. The crown board looks flush with the top of the hive and if you adapt your roof with a baton this baton may apply pressure to the top of the crown boards holding them flat.

Just a thoughts and glad you have gone with just wired frames and from the photo the extra mile and produced hoffmans I simply make DN1’s and use a screw head for the spacing they can be a bit annoying but works for me.

Good luck

That's just so cute :)
(Hivemaker watch out...)

Love it, very much a fan of making hives from what you can get hold of, and that wall thickness should make it nice and cosy for them.

Very nice, I'm sure they'll be very happy there ( as long as the chain doesn't break too often :) )

Not yet ... but I don't think it would be too much of a leap ... two separate supers on top of the basic box, make a frame that surrounds them and slots on top of the basic box which the lid is then hinged to. Makes sure the colony is under the super you are going to use ... mind you, with the existing 25 frames in the basic hive it will probably be next year before my colony got to that size ! And what a colony it would be !!

Let's hope Alice is up to it (HM is called Alice ... after the Smokie song - 'Living next door to Alice'. Unless you were around in the 70's that's probably meaningless ):yeahthat:

Yep ... that was a lesson learned - robbed one of the hanging baskets - should have gone for anchor chain !

Would have thought this would be an exciting way of producing cut comb... no wires, no base foundation... now if you could get some of our Cornish black Amms, you would have the most wonderful white capped comb honey........... food for thought?

That is a good idea .... the comb that they produced in the Nuc box was beautifully white ... not in the least bit yellow .... perhaps they are strays from further west. They are very small bees and predominantly black and amazingly calm ... Just been down to have a look at them (just look - not open up) and I was stood in front of the hive, right in the flight path and they were just flying around me ... not in the least bit bothered.

What a splendid example of good craftspersonship!

Wish I had sufficient skill to do that.
If a flat pack super is made up properly - so am I!

Now, about the French windows I need replacing........

Dusty.

P.s. thanks for the mention.

Looks great and a lot of thought has gone into it I hope it works for you.

Yes you know now a stronger chain is required personally not a fan of the hinge lid approach I will always be thinking it will come crashing down on my hand one day.

One more observation I take it your crown boards have a baton fixed to one side creating the beespace, if so they just may warp and twist, as they are more stable when balanced with the same section of baton on both sides. The crown board looks flush with the top of the hive and if you adapt your roof with a baton this baton may apply pressure to the top of the crown boards holding them flat.

Just a thoughts and glad you have gone with just wired frames and from the photo the extra mile and produced hoffmans I simply make DN1’s and use a screw head for the spacing they can be a bit annoying but works for me.

Good luck

I thought about the chain and finger trapping - it's a heavy roof - if you look closely on the RHS of the hive you should just be able to see a window stay which is fitted to the RHS of the roof - so that rigid stay stops it from shutting and the chain stops it from opening further (well ... best laid plans !). Strionger chain required.

The crown boards have 8mm square batons glued and nailed (brass gimp pins - from Grandad's tool box) to the underside to provide rigidity - the ply is only 5mm so without these it was bowed. The 8mm gives me the top bee space. I've made quite a few crown boards in varying widths so as the colony grows I can move the follower boards out, put a couple more frames in and still have a crown board to fit. Most of them have feeder holes but I've used the circular cut out glued to another piece of ply to make closures for the feeder holes - dual purpose as much as possible. That's a good idea to put a batten round the inside of the roof as you are quite right - it would be better to put pressure on both the crown boards and the followers - yes, the top of both of them is flush with the top of the hive.

I cheated as the Hoffman sides are not self spacing - the timber I had to make them was knat's too narrow so what I did was used domed upholstery nails to give me the right frame spacing ... I also put a second nail down the side bar before the curve in to keep the home made frames hanging as straight as possible. These are the nails I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271080889453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What a splendid example of good craftspersonship!

Wish I had sufficient skill to do that.
If a flat pack super is made up properly - so am I!

Now, about the French windows I need replacing........

Dusty.

P.s. thanks for the mention.

Ha Ha ... now if you REALLY knew me you would never trust me with anything that required critical measurements ... I am legendary amongst friends who live in fear of my 'by eye' measurement ! IMO Tape measures are something to use when you realise it doesn't fit .... I had to replace our cracked shower tray a couple of years ago ... I bought a new one that I thought would fit ... only to find when I had the broken one out that the new one was 10cm bigger ... the toilet would not fit where it was previously located - actually it would fit but you couldn't sit on it - so I had to move the toilet to where the wash basin was and the wash basin to the wall adjacent to where the toilet was. And ... you have no idea about the re-plumbing that was required (all under a chipboard floor and inside stud walls). Oh ...and did I mention the new shower cubicle I then had to buy ? Having just about finished SWMBO pointed out that anyone sitting on the toilet now would burn their arm on the radiator now adjacent to it (as if our heating ever got hot enough to warm a towel let alone burn anyone ! But that's another story). So ... up came the floors again and the radiator duly relocated on the other wall ..... I don't seem to learn from this inability to use any sort of meauring device other than a span of fingers !!

You were right about the crown boards though !

Last edited:
That is amazing. Love the hinged roof idea, am new to beekeeping and recently injured my wrist so lifting roof off is awkward. However husband has got so into making brood boxes etc I think I better not let him see this!

My only concern would be that vertical row of holes down the centre. Are they air holes for the 'nuc' section? If so I think the bees will soon stop them up with propolis!
Brilliant job tho, envious!

Ha Ha ... now if you REALLY knew me you would never trust me with anything that required critical measurements ... I am legendary amongst friends who live in fear of my 'by eye' measurement ! IMO Tape measures are something to use when you realise it doesn't fit .... I had to replace our cracked shower tray a couple of years ago ... I bought a new one that I thought would fit ... only to find when I had the broken one out that the new one was 10cm bigger ... the toilet would not fit where it was previously located - actually it would fit but you couldn't sit on it - so I had to move the toilet to where the wash basin was and the wash basin to the wall adjacent to where the toilet was. And ... you have no idea about the re-plumbing that was required (all under a chipboard floor and inside stud walls). Oh ...and did I mention the new shower cubicle I then had to buy ? Having just about finished SWMBO pointed out that anyone sitting on the toilet now would burn their arm on the radiator now adjacent to it (as if our heating ever got hot enough to warm a towel let alone burn anyone ! But that's another story). So ... up came the floors again and the radiator duly relocated on the other wall ..... I don't seem to learn from this inability to use any sort of meauring device other than a span of fingers !!

You were right about the crown boards though !

Sounds like fun.. Could you not have changed the shower tray for.a smaller one???

Great work by the way.. Is it a top bar system.your running?? Can't see all the pics on my phone.. :-(

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back