My bees have turned mean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obee1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11 ish plus some nucs
I split my very prolific queen away from her original site a month ago at which time she kept 5 brood frames. There was a week to 10 day period when the hive was struggling and consequently they ejected drones including some unborn ones from under the cappings. A week ago there were 5 frames of brood but boy were they angry when I inspected. Put it down to a bad hair day or something. They were not usually so aggressive. Yesterday I inspected again. Now grown to 8 full frames of brood plus she had started another frame in the empty brood box I nadired 2 weeks ago. I reversed boxes adding a frame of food next to the newly laid singular brood frame ( where HM was residing at the time). All well and good. However. OMG they boiled out the hive the second I cracked the boxes apart. Stung hubby through gardening gloves way down the garden minding his own business and then about 30 attacked my veil. And would not quit. I smoked em- nothing. I left the vicinity of hive. They stayed on me. I did my bee dance, jumping up and down shaking my veil. They stayed. I flicked em. They came back. So I ignored em and inspected amidst a cloud of furious bees. Hubby tried doing smoker for me but soon beat a hasty retreat. After inspecting I walked away. Again. The last 4 or 5 stuck with me. In my veil still. I left the garden. Still they tried to attack. Took me 5 minutes and several trips up the street to get the last one to go away. The garden remained full of angry bees for ages. It was very like those you tube clips of furious bees. Would have got hubby to film if only I'd had a long distance lense. Very long distance cos he was not coming near them!
Before the split they were ok ish. There was always a guard bee or two pinging my veil nothing that walking away didn't sort out. So. As the last two inspections have been horrendous is it likely they will return to a manageable state or should I re queen what is a very prolific queen?

Obee

was it really humid and over cast?, cuz i got very angry reception yesterday. most were pingy did 2 AS but last hive which needed one just stung both my forarms through bee suit was wearing short sleeved t shirt never again. retreated and was chased, rebuilt hive badly with throbing arms, then left. think its just weather and hives getting busy.
hope so anyway!

'Before the split they were ok ish. There was always a guard bee or two pinging my veil nothing that walking away didn't sort out. '

I suspect the signs were there. Personally, I would be thinking about re-queening.

was it really humid and over cast?, cuz i got very angry reception yesterday. most were pingy did 2 AS but last hive which needed one just stung both my forarms through bee suit was wearing short sleeved t shirt never again. retreated and was chased, rebuilt hive badly with throbing arms, then left. think its just weather and hives getting busy.
hope so anyway!

No it was a sunny day. Previous inspection was windy so I forgave them their bad behaviour. Yesterday they were nasty from the second I lifted crownboard. really sad if I have to get rid of such a prolific queen but beeking like this is just no fun.

I had the same response with a couple of colonies on Saturday evening, Weather was overcast and humid so putting it down to that, I only opened the hives because they were low on stores on my last inspection, I wanted to feed them because weather forecast is for wind and rain for the rest of the week, Otherwise I wouldn't have gone near them.

No it was a sunny day. Previous inspection was windy so I forgave them their bad behaviour. Yesterday they were nasty from the second I lifted crownboard. really sad if I have to get rid of such a prolific queen but beeking like this is just no fun.

Colonies can get a bit testy when there is OSR about and they are on it ... have you any OSR locally ? I'd still give them a chance initially .. a water spray is often as good as a smoker for controlling them ... with the finest mist setting and not spraying directly at them just in the air above. If they don't improve then requeening is essential.

I do sympathise - although my bees have never been this bad I was helping with a really shocking colony last year and it is not fun ... that colony got requeened with a Buckfast queen and is now a real pleasure to handle.

I had the same response with a couple of colonies on Saturday evening, Weather was overcast and humid so putting it down to that, I only opened the hives because they were low on stores on my last inspection, I wanted to feed them because weather forecast is for wind and rain for the rest of the week, Otherwise I wouldn't have gone near them.

Nope the weather was lovely. 2pm. Sunshine no wind. I suspect they have always been a bit temperamental but this is beyond manageable. One more chance methinks. Then she'll be queenlure.

I really sympathise.....I even found the bees at the teaching apiary a bit pinging .......so as you describe yours...I wouldn't wait....you have been very patient already! Even my most buzzy bees are quiet compared to the teaching apiary ones. I would find it a bit too much!

Colonies can get a bit testy when there is OSR about and they are on it ... have you any OSR locally ? I'd still give them a chance initially .. a water spray is often as good as a smoker for controlling them ... with the finest mist setting and not spraying directly at them just in the air above. If they don't improve then requeening is essential.

No OSR anywhere near. Will try water spray next time as smoker didn't make much - if any - difference. thank God my suit is bombproof. They did manage to sting through my marigolds last week though.
Having spent Saturday doing a course and looking through other hives has made me realise how easy other Beeks have it!

No OSR anywhere near. Will try water spray next time as smoker didn't make much - if any - difference. thank God my suit is bombproof. They did manage to sting through my marigolds last week though.
Having spent Saturday doing a course and looking through other hives has made me realise how easy other Beeks have it!

If you put a pair of latex surgical gloves over your marigolds then it does not reduce the 'feel factor' but the extra later of latex is just enough to stop the stings getting through to your skin .. well, they will get through but there's not enough left for the sting to take effect. Tried and trusted method for me last year with the bees from hell colony - lot better than the leather welding gloves which make handling them difficult.

If you put a pair of latex surgical gloves over your marigolds then it does not reduce the 'feel factor' but the extra later of latex is just enough to stop the stings getting through to your skin .. well, they will get through but there's not enough left for the sting to take effect. Tried and trusted method for me last year with the bees from hell colony - lot better than the leather welding gloves which make handling them difficult.

I have tried latex under marigolds. But have really long nails and they often rip. The marigolds are x large and baggy so amazed they got a sting in me. Actually it was a fraction of a sting due to baggy gloves which I was pleased to get as I'm on waiting list for desensitisation therapy and it was like having homemade therapy. Just need to work out how to increase dose by the appropriate amount next month. Oh and not get a proper sting meanwhile!

I have tried latex under marigolds. But have really long nails and they often rip. The marigolds are x large and baggy so amazed they got a sting in me. Actually it was a fraction of a sting due to baggy gloves which I was pleased to get as I'm on waiting list for desensitisation therapy and it was like having homemade therapy. Just need to work out how to increase dose by the appropriate amount next month. Oh and not get a proper sting meanwhile!

You are better off with a tighter fitting pair of marigolds and then latex gloves on top of the marigolds .. I tend to tear latex gloves even with short fingernails but I didn't have the problem with the latex ones over the top.

I've also been, more recently, using ones like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS...BLE-Med-Large-X-Large-Tattooist-/281680940550

Which are much less easy to tear than latex.

PS: But not the BLACK ones - bees seem to be drawn to black.

Milking gloves may be worth looking at.
They are pretty tough nitrile and have a long cuff. I wear two pairs so that I can change the top pair between hives if need be.

When was the last time you washed your suit and gloves ?
Is it damp where the hive is ?
Over hanging branches ?
Any chance of wasps or robbing ?

When was the last time you washed your suit and gloves ?
Is it damp where the hive is ?
Over hanging branches ?
Any chance of wasps or robbing ?
Last week I wore hubby's suit that's not freshly washed. Bees were vile. This week used my freshly laundered suit. Bees were vile. Gloves I wore different pairs each inspection. The bees live in a sheltered spot at bottom of garden.they are about 6 feet away from where they originated pre split - no wasps that I saw. I really don't think suit, gloves , trees etc is what upset them. I initially thought they must be queenles. But no, I saw her. She is laying well. They have several frames of stores and loads of foragers out and about going to the park opposite. I did stop feeding 10 days ago though. then weather turned colder and wetter. Maybe they are miffed.
Thinking about it they were crowded into upstairs hive and had built a comb extension through the feeding hole in crownboard right up to the inside of roof. I assume they wanted to move upwards and not down to nadired brood box with foundation and drawn comb. Hopefully reversing boxes will have sorted that problem.

Thanks for the gloves suggestion everyone. I will try some different ones out.

I had a really peaceful hive turn nasty on me last year and sting enough to put me in A&E with a bad reaction.
At first we couldn't understand why, but then noticed lots of bees avoiding the main entrance and slipping in at the back where the omf had drooped a little.
Once this was fixed the colony went back to being nice.

I cover my hands in Olbas oil before handling bees. On really bad hives, I use marigolds covered with Olbas oil.

It's amusing to watch a bee land on a spot which has been rubbed with the oil : takes one sniff and then flies off.. often to my cuffs trying to get up my arms..

As I understand it, bees don't like the smell of cloves - the major constituent of the oil.

Avon Skin So Soft Original is just as good but costs more and is bulkier so less convenient..

I Double up on the latex gloves, I have never been stung through them, you can re-use the "under" pair. I have used marigolds with latex on top, but they are difficult to get on and tend to rip. Need to be careful around the cuff though.

I bought a pair of bomb-proof leather gauntlets at the weekend.....the feeling of security was fab. Been pinged a few times through the marigolds.....no sucker was getting through the gauntlet though!

Back