Mrs Bs Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I get the chance to speak to my customers, I stress that I never feed sugar. With all the media interest in adulteration, that resonates with most people.
I may feed a couple of litres of syrup in emergency situations in nucs/splits/swarms. I leave 20kg of honey in full colonies for winter.
Am I missing something

By undervaluing your honey, time and capital spent on equipment you are having an impact on the price in your area and potentially someone s income.
Well said.....but you have not included the 'Idiot Factor' here. I've given up with this person now.
According to them, WE are ripping people off.....then THE farmers markets are ......then only 'some' farmers markets. Anything has been put forward, other than recognising they may have been mistaken.
People like this are totally ignorant and have no wish to learn. They think they know everything already, so are incapable of changing, let alone apologising.
I can only hope they do not operate anywhere near Stratford-upon-Avon!

"20kg of honey per colony....... and never feed sugar except in an emergency with 6 Rose Hives???
Pull the other one... its got bells on it...!!!
As my Gran would have said :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Why is my statement so unbelievable and funny?

It isn't. What you are saying is that for your larger established hives, which you run on the Rose Hive Method (which entails leaving honey for the bees rather than harvesting it), you don't need to feed sugar. That seems entirely plausible to me, given that you are obviously careful not to take any honey from hives which don't have the required 20kg. EDIT: Of course - leaving enough honey for winter isn't exclusive to the Rose Hive Method, and I know you haven't claimed that.

The fact you feed sugar to swarms, and to splits if necessary, to stop them dying, does not negate the above, as I imagine you don't extract honey from those colonies that year anyway.

Last edited:
One advantage of leaving honey for the winter and not feeding sugar, is that in spring any surplus can can extracted. There is always 10kg+ remaining in each hive.

Sugar 35p /kg
Honey bulk to cider / gin makers £7.00/kg
£42 to £840 for 6 colonies
Feeding honey makes no financial sense.... as much as selling it in 1lb jars for tuppence!!!
Wonder what ILTD would make of that???
? or am I missing something

What is this? What the hell are you railing at? I am not a bee exploiter, in it purely for profit. I am a hobbyist beekeeper. I don't care what you think about the way I do things and I would thank you to butt out of a conversation unless you have something useful to contribute.

One advantage of leaving honey for the winter and not feeding sugar, is that in spring any surplus can can extracted. There is always 10kg+ remaining in each hive.
SWMBO just reminded me of our first year with Rose hives .... six seven seasons ago.....
I left a full super for each of the dozen Rose colonies we had acquired from friends who had moved to France.
In the Spring eight had perished... starvation:blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5::blush5: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Damned good crop of Ivy Honey... if you like baby sick!!:puke:

What is this? What the hell are you railing at? I am not a bee exploiter, in it purely for profit. I am a hobbyist beekeeper. I don't care what you think about the way I do things and I would thank you to butt out of a conversation unless you have something useful to contribute.

OK
We accept the fact that some folk keep bees for other reasons than cropping honey... and if they do sell it on.. they do so at a loss at the local Farmers market !!

Always a pleasure to add some sort of balance to a lop sided debate!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back