moving from old hive to new

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am a novice and have a question that sounds stupid. However,i am told that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

If I want to move bees from an old hive into a new hive (same hive type), is is simply a matter of putting the new hive in the same sopt as the old one and moving the frames accross?

Yes. Keep the frames in the same order as before.

Welcome and there is no such thing as a silly question. I've asked a few myself!:confused:

I have just moved the bees from the old box to the new box. I moved the old box to the side then put the new box where the old one was. With the two of as close as possible I simply transferred the combs over. I did not really try and look for the queen as this was my first ever time opening and looking at bees on my own, and the second time I have ever looked into a bee hive at all! I did not want to mess about and upset them too much. Most of the bees stayed on the frames and I think I was gentle with them. I brushed the last few from the old box into the new box. I saw what I think were plenty of brood frames and a few capped honey. Only one frame half drawn foundation. Now my question is; what next? When do I super?

Just as long as you understand, I am the queen of the stupid question. Does anyone remember the umbrella one? I'm pretty new to beekeeping too. I am being trusted for the first time to check all the frames myself next week and I am so excited about it. It's taken a while, but I'm getting there. It's very exciting isn't it :)

I have just moved the bees from the old box to the new box. I moved the old box to the side then put the new box where the old one was. With the two of as close as possible I simply transferred the combs over. I did not really try and look for the queen as this was my first ever time opening and looking at bees on my own, and the second time I have ever looked into a bee hive at all! I did not want to mess about and upset them too much. Most of the bees stayed on the frames and I think I was gentle with them. I brushed the last few from the old box into the new box. I saw what I think were plenty of brood frames and a few capped honey. Only one frame half drawn foundation. Now my question is; what next? When do I super?

Do you have frames of undrawn foundation? If so, how many?

Polyhive did a brilliant thread on supering. You can find it if you Use the search. ( note to self, learn how to attach a thread!)

Just as long as you understand, I am the queen of the stupid question. Does anyone remember the umbrella one? I'm pretty new to beekeeping too. I am being trusted for the first time to check all the frames myself next week and I am so excited about it. It's taken a while, but I'm getting there. It's very exciting isn't it :)

Exciting -yes. I was all confident and ready until I removed the crown board and had a moment where I needed to calm myself never mind the bees.

Exciting -yes. I was all confident and ready until I removed the crown board and had a moment where I needed to calm myself never mind the bees.

My mentor thinks I'm ready. The last two times we've been down there have been a couple of incidents. First time my mentor had a hole in his suit, which some bees got in and he left the enclosure to remove them, the second time one of the teachers watching got a bee in her hair and was stung, so he left me to tend to her. Both times I just carried on the job and finished on my own, so he reckons I'm going to be alright. Yikes!

In my limited experience I think it is time to put a super on. Try looking at ph's thread about supering, very informative.

Hope it all goes well.

Put a super on if in doubt as the good weather is here for most of this week.

I know exactly what you mean! Everything you have ever read and learnt on courses goes right out of the window! I get so engrossed in what I am doing that I forget to use the smoker and it has gone out.:blush5:

I always take a water spray bottle with me for that very reason

Latest posts

Back