More Space?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After jumping the gun with an AS early June I inadvertently ended up with a walk away split. Fortunately, new Queen emerged mid June and as of today there are 7 frames BIAS. Earliest I expect new bees to start emerging is around 22nd July.

They’ve got 2 1/2 frames undrawn foundation in the brood box so I’ve moved one to between last 2 frames of the brood nest and 1 1/2 frames of stores.

Queen has laid 4 frames in the last week, so after space for stores and even with some new bees emerging I’m thinking they’ll be getting tight for space if she carries on at this rate.

Can anyone give me some advice on timing of giving them extra space? Should I wait for them to draw all brood frames before doing anything? Also, I understand younger bees are good at drawing wax, so any tips on how I can maximise on this?

Thanks

😁

Perhaps manipulate brood frames to get them drawn, though they will draw as they need them. When 8 or so are full of brood add a super. If this is year one and you have only foundation young bees on a flow can draw a super quickly,some don't bother trying for honey in first year and will feed one to one syrup and make sure they have plenty of drawn comb for the following year.

Latest posts

Back