Money Saving Tips for Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get the company you work for to sponsor a hive for a few jars of honey a year. say it is part of their social responsablitiy. use the bees need our help and we need thier help line.

Don’t replace the alarm clock as you will have plenty of sleepless nights ahead

get the company you work for to sponsor a hive for a few jars of honey a year. say it is part of their social responsablitiy. use the bees need our help and we need thier help line.

Like it! Married to a vicar, perhaps he could put a hive on the church roof, might stop the lead getting nicked!

Best not to worry about losing £3.50. It beggars belief how stingy most beekeepers are.

Become a skip-rat, you can't believe the amount of good hive and hive accessory building timber that people throw out. I can't walk past a skip without giving it a thorough inspection, much to Mrs Nonstandard's embarrassment :)

Oh and join a good forum; damn you already have ;)

Like it! Married to a vicar, perhaps he could put a hive on the church roof, might stop the lead getting nicked!

great idea:p

you could use the honey to make mead for the communion wine. then you could justify it even more to the local church leaders

Become a skip-rat, you can't believe the amount of good hive and hive accessory building timber that people throw out. I can't walk past a skip without giving it a thorough inspection, much to Mrs Nonstandard's embarrassment :)

Oh and join a good forum; damn you already have ;)

So true. Also dont buy contact feeders, make your own by using an airtight container, see through best, then you can see how much is left and punch, burn or whatever, loads of small holes in the lid. you have, a contact feeder.

So true. Also dont buy contact feeders, make your own by using an airtight container, see through best, then you can see how much is left and punch, burn or whatever, loads of small holes in the lid. you have, a contact feeder.

Oh how I wish I'd opened this thread earlier, like errr, before I bought my contact feeder!

Keep em coming!

Thank you

Plan ahead!

Sometimes saving money may cost you too much time.

I had planned on building (from scratch) my own hives but I don't have the time and it's more valuable to my doing other things.

I agree with planning your year ahead and buying the kit you need (even more than you need!) in the winter sales or at the Spring convention.

I bought my 9 frame radial electric extractor at the show and after extracting 36 shallow and 21 deep frames yesterday I believe it has already almost paid for itself in the time it saved me!

Sometimes saving money may cost you too much time.

Beekeeping is less thought of as the hobby you start when you retire, and so most people work / have families/ other hobbies.

And also have the "cash to burn" on new things rather than making or spending hours cleaning old things up.

Back