Money Saving Tips for Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All,

In a different thread, I mentioned that I'd just bought a hive strap at an auction for £6 - to be told that I could have bought 2 for £2.50 from Tesco out of the motoring section!

Does any thrifty beekeeper have any money saving tips they'd like to pass on? I'd certainly be most keen to hear them.

Thanks
Aly

Learn to build your own kit. Saves ££££

Go for (more) "natural beekeeping" - I got to 3 colonies of bees, hives, and everything I needed for under £150 all-in........ built my own hives from free plans - there is no foundation to buy as the bees build what they want/need (etc)..........

Hi Im new to beekeeping just under a year and i say always do your homework before buying , plan ahead if you can and you can save some serious pennies if you shop around.

Depends if time is money. So easy to buy and assemble ready made kit, I have made my own in the past but not any more.
E

Go for (more) "natural beekeeping" - I got to 3 colonies of bees, hives, and everything I needed for under £150 all-in........ built my own hives from free plans - there is no foundation to buy as the bees build what they want/need (etc)..........

More natural than what? You still KEEP them in boxes I presume?

John Wilkinson

Dinna bother John it's not worth winding him up, let him blast away on his other forums.

No wonder there is aye trouble at the demos in London if its a fair sample of the mentality.

PH

Dinna bother John it's not worth winding him up, let him blast away on his other forums.

No wonder there is aye trouble at the demos in London if its a fair sample of the mentality.

PH
Wind him up? Never ,he's self winding !
Just didna make himself clear to the lass that he's a TBH man so gave him a prompt :sifone:. Assuming of course that he needs one ?

John Wilkinson

I don't cull brood, mark, clip or destroy queens, seldom use smoke, allow them to build what comb THEY want and need, don't attempt to suppress swarming, leave them their own stores for winter instead of robbing them and leaving sugar syrup, don't subject them to incessant intrusive inspections (but instead strive always to preserve nestduftwärmebindung) - never use toxic chemicals on the bees or in the hive - yes, "as it says on the tin" - (more) "natural beekeeping", no beekeeping is "natural", but some methods are (more) natural than others.......

Being semantically pedantic myself, I nowadays always use the qualifying (more) before "natural beekeeping" so as to be entirely correct!

I don't cull brood, mark, clip or destroy queens, seldom use smoke, allow them to build what comb THEY want and need, don't attempt to suppress swarming, leave them their own stores for winter instead of robbing them and leaving sugar syrup, don't subject them to incessant intrusive inspections (but instead strive always to preserve nestduftwärmebindung) - never use toxic chemicals on the bees or in the hive - yes, "as it says on the tin" - (more) "natural beekeeping", no beekeeping is "natural", but some methods are (more) natural than others.......

Being semantically pedantic myself, I nowadays always use the qualifying (more) before "natural beekeeping" so as to be entirely correct!
It might be natural, but is it beekeeping? ;-)

I have nationals and a TBH i like the TBH and i like the nationals. i like keeping bees

Brossy professing to be entirely correct!! now there's a first
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:
JW.

What happened to the money saving tips?
Befriend a woodwork teacher - my mate has built me one cedar hive and three supers (all from offcuts he cadged from a building site) two each of feeder board, crown board (without a hole don't you know!) and clearer boards. Next project is a couple of Nuc's then mass production of plywood hives.
I'll have to buy the plywood (from another mate who's area manager for a building supplies company!) so a hefty saving.
Now looking for a mate whose a luxury yacht builder!!!!

Always ask "who sells the cheapest?"

"What is the cheapest way to...?"

"Who can I get to make this for me....?"

"Where can I borrow....?":cheers2:

Plan ahead and buy equipment in the December/ January sales or at the show at Stonleigh in April. You can usually save about 50% which can save a fortune when buying supers frames etc.

Also I went to an auction last weekend where the second hand national hives were going for £50-60 whereby a Modafied Dadant went for £3. Might save a fortune going unconventional

James

Latest posts

Back