Mixing fondent with Neopoll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezza

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

I have an idea of mixing a tub of fondant and Neopoll, would that be a problem?
So what i would do is fill half the tub with fondant and the other half with Neopoll and put it on top of the crown board over the hole.

Pezza

Just give them a sloppy pollen substitute patty.
4 heaped desert spoons of brewere yeast powder
12 heaped desert spoons of soya flour
lots of sugar
Hot water to make a very thick batter consistency
two egg yolks
two drops of lemongrass oil
Serve it on a small sheet of grease proof paper on the top bars. Turn up the edges of the paper to keep it from running and spoon it on. Stand back as they will get stuck in and you will have to dribble it between dining bees.

Thanks Hivemaker, egg yolk for extra protein and lemongrass oil for extra love. It works a treat.

Keep up the rations until there is sufficient pollen coming in and forage around to allow it. Remember having raised their expectations, you can't turn off the tap on a growing community and let them starve.

All ingredients except hot water and egg yolks are available at Holland & Barratts. Just ask the nice lady in your local branch.

A frame feeder with 1:1 syrup will be a great assistance too.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have an idea of mixing a tub of fondant and Neopoll, would that be a problem?
So what i would do is fill half the tub with fondant and the other half with Neopoll and put it on top of the crown board over the hole.

Pezza

well i do something similar

2.5k bag of fondant on the central porter hole in Jan and in mid march half (500g) or a third (300g) of a 1kg packet of neopol

it has never killed them yet, they tend to eat the neopol in preference to fondant

Last edited:
well i do something similar

2.5k bag of fondant on the central porter hole in Jan and in mid march half (500g) or a third (300g) of a 1kg packet of neopol

it has never killed them yet, they tend to eat the neopol in preference to fondant

i meant to say the neopol is on the other porter escape hole, so they have a choice of both foods

does the

two egg yolks

make a big difference?

i meant to say the neopol is on the other porter escape hole, so they have a choice of both foods

Ive done similar as well, rather than open up the hive last week I put some neopoll under a bag on the crown board which also had some fondant in. They've gobbled up the neopoll and not made much further impression on the fondant so thats probably due for replacing with a 1:1 this weekend if the weather stays like this

does the

two egg yolks

make a big difference?

Yes it makes. Raw egg yolks are sensitive to spoil.

matter of the yolk: 25,5% fat, 15% protein. The rest water.

So you may use food oil instead.

Last edited:
pollen patty substitute

4 heaped desert spoons of brewere yeast powder
12 heaped desert spoons of soya flour
lots of sugar
Hot water to make a very thick batter consistency
two egg yolks
Serve it on a small sheet of grease proof paper on the top bars. Turn up the edges of the paper to keep it from running and spoon it on. Stand back as they will get stuck in and you will have to dribble it between dining bees.

A frame feeder with 1:1 syrup will be a great assistance too.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but, how does the frame feeder help?

Can you put it on top of the syrup?

:confused:

Answering my own question...

I can see that my question must have appeared stupid to those with knowledge and experience.

So for any other newbee's reading this thread, the answer is:

The frame feeder puts the feed inside the brood box, so the bees don't have to go looking for it.

Just because we know where it is, that doesn't mean the bee's will find it.
They may need a little help.

Mixing the recipe with 1:1 syrup makes it more attractive to the bees.

I won't bore you with the scientific data on that.:D

Yes it makes. Raw egg yolks are sensitive to spoil.

matter of the yolk: 25,5% fat, 15% protein. The rest water.

So you may use food oil instead.

What's your recipe please Finman?

Latest posts

Back