Mini Nucs - Which do you prefer and why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually they're identical... I just checked!

R2

I'm confused - the online article you linked earlier was not Ron Brown's Managing Mininucs, but I thought you'd ordered the Ron Brown booklet...? Hence my comment :)

Couldn't find where else to ask this -sorry if I hijack this post... where can I get spare doors/ queen excluder slats for my Apideas- mine buckled over winter (stored near rad!). cannot find on google.

IIRC Mark at buzzy bee shop does apidea spares.

Thanks- could you kindly pm me his address as I Googled him and got toys!

Thanks- could you kindly pm me his address as I Googled him and got toys!

buzzybeeshop.codotuk 5th on my search ?!
He doesnt show spare doors on the website but its worth calling him as hes a very helpful chap - no connection, he was just good when I needed some bits.

Heather
If you are not far from P A Y N E S, I'm sure Roger would be able to help you.

I wonder has anyone of You used mininucs with half frame langstroth. If yes how are your experiences - or where are on forum some written to I can find. Cause this year I will make some of these, maybe to hear other experiences. As to a beginner they seems good solution..

Apideas dont last for ever, the entrance hole will eventually get bigger with wasps and bees chewing at them. At £20-25 they are getting a bit expensive whenever you can get a P a y n e s 6 frame poly nuc at near the same price.

I ve tried a small test version of the BIBBA single frame nuc and it works well, I'm now planning to build the old version of the German/danish EWK, these things last forever They are composed of many small parts which can be runn off if you have the gigs set up. The like of Thornes wont touch them cos they would cost too much to make in labour, and its an item that they could not rip us off on without making profit. In denmark you are looking at about £40 per single frame unit and a house for 2 units costing similar. I like being able to see the bees without having to disturb them, you can even examine at night. The feeder on top version is better than the new feeder at the side. These would last a pro queen breeder a lifetime

Well, following the prototype single frame nucs, I've made 25 of these single frame nucs with side feeder from scrap wood lying about the local dump. Must say I'm very happy with them and intend to make another 25 or probably more this winter. I use a jig to assemble the main parts, 5 min per nuc, the time is in cutting the timber, takes just over a meter of 1/2 inch to make the box, filling with bees is simple, just a cupful and takes the same amount of fondant as an apidea. The house is easy enough made but the entrance holes must align or bees wont be able to get out.
One big advantage is the ease in transporting (once the houses are set up), 6 EWK's take a lot less space than 6 apideas, i'd say the ratio is 6 ewk = 2 apideas. Being able to monitor food reserves through perspex and see if queen is present or laying takes next to zero time as you do not need to open the bees . Catching the queen is easy as she will stay on the single frame and she can be watched as you withdraw it from the unit. Overall highly recommended, the main cost is in the perspex sides and the 50mm entrance disc and of course time to make them.

Resistance to wasps was much the same as apideas, the wasps will win in the end. They are intended soley to mate queens not to act as minature colonies that might be overwintered, once a queen is mated the excluder option is put on the entrance. When she lays up the frame she should be removed otherwise there will be no space and it will encourage swarming. A new queen cell can be added for the next cycle. Being wood they will last much longer than apideas as mice will find it harder to chew a way into.

Also, I designed the frame so that 3 will fit snuggly into a standard brood frame so at the start of the season its easy to get frames drawn out for a head start and at the years end its easy to combine all into a hive for overwintering

Hi Phillip,
just seen this thread and have not read it all, just the last page. I have just done a days queen rearing with Ged Marshall and am looking to have a go (on a smaller scale :hairpull:). He uses Apideas but I like the sound of what you are talking about. Can you find time to post a couple of pictures please.
Many thanks

...I've made 25 of these single frame nucs with side feeder from scrap wood lying about the local dump...
National frame version? Sounds interesting, any pictures or diagrams?

There are a few listed on continental bee supply sites. I do like the idea of a mini nuc that could become an easily portable observation hive. Not clear what the frame size is for most but the main advantage I can see would be easy transfer to other equipment.

http://www.bienenzuchtbedarf-seip.d...---EWKs/EWK-und-Schutzkaestchen-komplett.html

Latest posts

Back