Mini Nucs - Which do you prefer and why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have dainty hands ten Dan LOL My hands are like dinner plates, more room in the kieler. but hate the attacment to the sides, I am try an experiment to see if I can stop it using the strapping that holds Th**nes boxes etc together.( Delivery boxes not hives)
Kev

Last edited:
When i had bees i used first off the Apidea which at the time worked but i felt it could do with being a bit larger, then at Stonleigh a few years back i saw the Wernholtz and bought three since then i have buildt wooden Nuc's to help with queen rearing.
My vote has to go with the Wernholtz as these are first class queen breeding and mating hives.

Mo no bees

You must have dainty hands ten Dan LOL

Nah, "think outside the box" was a cryptic hint: once you've got the frames out and as long as she isn't a flighty virgin, slip out the red vent grille, take an inverted hive roof and knock the bees out (once!). Queen presented on large flat surface, pick up and do with her as you wish. Shake bees back in when finished and replace the red grille.

I'm assuming that those who are investing in mating nucs are willing and able to pick up queens by hand - there's going to be an awful lot of frustration regardless of hive type/pattern if not ;)

At the end of the season I can combine frames and bees and the best spare queens and over-winter a couple of the wooden ones so I have frames and bees ready-stocked in the Spring.

Generally if the queen is on the bottom there's a good chance that she will be on a frame a few minutes later.

Just used my 3 apideas for the first time today - bought one from Paynes, other two on eBay. Sitting in the lounge (dark and warm) for a few days before I move them outside and open the entrance.
Where are the best instructions for using these things...?
Where are the best (ie. cheapest) suppliers of Apideas and spares?

R2
ps. Top tip. If entrance block is a bit loose on 2nd hand Apidea bought on eBay then ensure it's closed properly before putting Apidea in the lounge... ;-)

Beebreeder. You would like the wooden pattern of mini nuc M Collier uses...(don't think he has made 1000 of them for pleasure,but for better efficiency) and even you could get your hands in one of these.

Just used my 3 apideas for the first time today - bought one from Paynes, other two on eBay. Sitting in the lounge (dark and warm) for a few days before I move them outside and open the entrance.
Where are the best instructions for using these things...?

Ron Brown's booklet Managing Mininucs is written specifically about Apideas and is a goldmine. Costs £1.50 including postage from Northern Bee Books :)

Where are the best (ie. cheapest) suppliers of Apideas and spares?

I find the Buzzy Bee Shop to be good on price, delivery, and service. Google them ;)

Beebreeder. You would like the wooden pattern of mini nuc M Collier uses...(don't think he has made 1000 of them for pleasure,but for better efficiency) and even you could get your hands in one of these.

I know that and have a good idea what they look like but as you know I have a lot of kielers and am not going to give them up unless someone wants to buy them

Last edited:
Nah, "think outside the box" was a cryptic hint: once you've got the frames out and as long as she isn't a flighty virgin, slip out the red vent grille, take an inverted hive roof and knock the bees out (once!). Queen presented on large flat surface, pick up and do with her as you wish. Shake bees back in when finished and replace the red grille.

I'm assuming that those who are investing in mating nucs are willing and able to pick up queens by hand - there's going to be an awful lot of frustration regardless of hive type/pattern if not ;)

Tried that once on the l/rover tailboard as i usually deal with them there, ideal work height and fondant and any other tools close to hand, shook them out and the queen ran round to the underside with some workers, found her when i shut the tailboard to move on. LOL

;-)

They don't need to be warm; they will create their own heat. Mine go at the back of the shed where it's cool and shady or on the cool garage floor. They go on timber so there is ventillation space underneath.

Thanks everyone - just bought Ron Brown's booklet Managing Mininucs for £1.5o incl P&P - sorted!

R2

"I think there's one by B. Mobus as well"

probably many more out there too...I understand that mini-nuc managers do nothing invariably!

Mr Mobus did indeed write the first one and arguably the best one as being German he followed with great interest the German experience in managing small colonies.

Why the Germans? Because they were using isolated mating on islands to permit line breeding and the virgins were sent to the islands in very small units and so they gained considerable experience with them.

I had the privilege of learning from Bernard how to work mini nucs successfully.

His favourite saying is the quotation below, which I post in memory for him.

PH

It's not the same publication. You'll find that your £1.50 brings you a much better read and a little more comprehensive too :)
Actually they're identical... I just checked!

R2

Latest posts

Back