mini breakfast jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
has anyone been asked to supply these before?

i get the benefit for a hotel to have single use, but feels like theyd be more trouble than benefit in terms of filling, labelling etc (though there is the Coleman's '...but by the mustard left on the plate' factor)

any experience?

I do - to a few local businesses. a bit of a fiddle but also a big markup (and I sell them cheap really)
How do you fill them? I have been asked to supply 2oz jars(possibly less) for a friend's wedding next summer and was thinking that a standard honey gate may be too blunt a tool for the job. Would warm honey in a jug work?
IIRC this has come up before and I can dimly recall Pete Little suggesting a catering ketchup type dispenser.

Found it Post in thread 'Quick way to fill up small jars' Quick way to fill up small jars

Last edited:
I use a plastic sweetie jar with a tap fitted - the type used on a garden water butt. It flows slowly enough to let you have control of filling the jar. Drill a hole (tricky as the walls are so thin) or use a heated pipe of the correct diameter and melt it through and the job's a good one.

Just noticed when looking at the honey pump link from way back that the £4.45 honey pump is now £19.50!!! Also copes with 20-25 L which is really way too much at a time hence the sweetie jar I use - see above

has anyone been asked to supply these before?

i get the benefit for a hotel to have single use, but feels like theyd be more trouble than benefit in terms of filling, labelling etc (though there is the Coleman's '...but by the mustard left on the plate' factor)

any experience?
I fill quite a few 1oz (30g) jars and sell 3 different honeys as taster sets at my local Xmas market. They sell like hot cakes for £3.50. I usually fill with a small jug but to be honest if I had several hundred to fill I would look at the ketchup dispenser idea.
The jars are expensive, the best I could find them for was 30p
1oz Mini Jam Jar with Caps

I fill quite a few 1oz (30g) jars and sell 3 different honeys as taster sets at my local Xmas market. They sell like hot cakes for £3.50. I usually fill with a small jug but to be honest if I had several hundred to fill I would look at the ketchup dispenser idea.
The jars are expensive, the best I could find them for was 30p
1oz Mini Jam Jar with Caps
How do you label them, Neil?

check out stickaroo.co.uk

They do little round labels which fit on the lids and very helpful. No idea of price now though

How do you label them, Neil?
I put a small transparent label on the jar with the apiary name and lot no. on it then wrap the 3 in cellophane with my details on.
1687332247426.jpeg
The stack of jars on the right have my details on the back of the cellophane.

How do you fill them? I have been asked to supply 2oz jars(possibly less) for a friend's wedding next summer and was thinking that a standard honey gate may be too blunt a tool for the job. Would warm honey in a jug work?
IIRC this has come up before and I can dimly recall Pete Little suggesting a catering ketchup type dispenser.

Found it Post in thread 'Quick way to fill up small jars' Quick way to fill up small jars
I use this batter dispenser; it doesn't drip at all https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-112680...atter+trigger+dispenser&qid=1687345950&sr=8-1
I see, however, that there are much cheaper versions on Amazon, which may also do the job.

I put a small transparent label on the jar with the apiary name and lot no. on it then wrap the 3 in cellophane with my details on.
View attachment 36701
The stack of jars on the right have my details on the back of the cellophane.
They look very good. No wonder they fly.

Thank you all for the comments on how to fill the jars! I’ve been supplying the campsite with small jars for the past three years, and I’ve done it with a jug, but a ketchup dispenser sounds ideal. I don’t label them, the campsite does that, and wonders how I get mine on straight when I did it - purely by eye, is the answer.

Latest posts

Back