Metal sheet bending-hive roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a lot of nucs in the summer and have just made a new national both of which have included a thin aluminium sheet roof. I hammer on the line to form my right angle bends in my sheet metal, but like the idea of an easier and cleaner bend from a "break."

I am interested to find out amongst those of you who also make your own if any of you use a metal sheet break (bender) to form the folds in your metal sheet roofs?

Regards

Olivia9801

I made a lot of nucs in the summer and have just made a new national both of which have included a thin aluminium sheet roof. I hammer on the line to form my right angle bends in my sheet metal, but like the idea of an easier and cleaner bend from a "break."

I am interested to find out amongst those of you who also make your own if any of you use a metal sheet break (bender) to form the folds in your metal sheet roofs?

Regards

Olivia9801

yes the last bunch were folded to 45 deg and the corner closed with triangles tigged in. A bit OTT but i enjoyed making them

Black and Decker work bench and a rubber mallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a folding machine in work but it's just as easy with what I said earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I obtained some cheap large ( 8ft x 4ft ) sheets of thin galvanised steel sold as flood damaged (blemished coatings) in 2012 and the people I bought it from (boat builders and fabricators) cut it on their large guillotine and bent it on their sheet bender in minutes, for very little money. I live in a wet and windy place (Pennines) and so I have been making overhanging pitched roofs to shed winter water away from the hives. Even if I'd paid full price it would have been cheaper and easier than obtaining aluminium sheet and fabricating myself. I had them make hive lid covers for different hives/nucs and other things too. I've since had them make things for me from their 'scrap' pile for next to nothing. Go with measurements and angles to any metal fabricator and they will give you a price which you can compare with other sources. Tell them its for bee hives as I find people are aware of the plight of the bees and tend to be sympathetic in their pricing.

Break? Never try to break the metal myself, only bend it! You might get some more reliable references if you enter 'brake' into the search.

I obtained some cheap large ( 8ft x 4ft ) sheets of thin galvanised steel sold as flood damaged (blemished coatings) in 2012 and the people I bought it from (boat builders and fabricators) cut it on their large guillotine and bent it on their sheet bender in minutes, for very little money. I live in a wet and windy place (Pennines) and so I have been making overhanging pitched roofs to shed winter water away from the hives. Even if I'd paid full price it would have been cheaper and easier than obtaining aluminium sheet and fabricating myself. I had them make hive lid covers for different hives/nucs and other things too. I've since had them make things for me from their 'scrap' pile for next to nothing. Go with measurements and angles to any metal fabricator and they will give you a price which you can compare with other sources. Tell them its for bee hives as I find people are aware of the plight of the bees and tend to be sympathetic in their pricing.

if you had a treadle guillotine and a hand box & pan folder you could make a roof in the time it takes to get one quote

Old aluminum is best annealed before bending.

I am lucky enough to have one of my apiaries at the back of a sheet metal and general engineering company... get as many roofs made as I need for a song!

Yeghes da

-as many roofs made as I need for a song!

Literally or metaphorically? If the former, any particular one?:)

-as many roofs made as I need for a song!

Literally or metaphorically? If the former, any particular one?:)

Hark to your bees... although if they are being difficult the threat of a Box of Ginsters reject pasties and all the choruses of Trelawney does it !!!

Nos da

Ahh, a threat rather than a reward! :) Are they made before you ask?

Boss likes cut comb.. which usually results in a few roofs being bent up.
They manufacture and repair caravans, motorhomes and make the occasional bespoke aluminum boat... used for wheelchair bound disabled access fishing.

Yeghes da

I use a rubber hammer, line up the metal, fold it initially with your hands, kind of rub along the crease, (Mrs) the use the rubber hammer for the rest. I used to staple all the sides down but now i simply use 4 tiny 3x16mm screws, one in each fold. If the wood rots and you want to change the roof, the metal always lives on, so its an awful lot easier that trying to get out 40 odd staples.

I let the metal actually "hang" out a bit, it means drips are less likely to fall on to the sides of the hive, and aids ventilation underneath the metal, a little. heres a video i did a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/KQESGmqYews

I looked at making some sort of press, but its just too much work and expense.

Cheers Richard for that video.

The video confirms the problem I have and that's re the gauge sheet I use as its to thick.

I would love to know of a printer who has some of that lovely thin metal sheet.

I love making hives and nucs and really enjoy the metal work side re forming the roofs.

Regards

Olivia9801

Cheers Richard for that video.

The video confirms the problem I have and that's re the gauge sheet I use as its to thick.

I would love to know of a printer who has some of that lovely thin metal sheet.

I love making hives and nucs and really enjoy the metal work side re forming the roofs.

Regards

Olivia9801

i see your problem with bending thicker metal sheets, thats why the printer sheets are so good. i agree.
Just to add, here in France i found a load at one of my local printers, with the sheets in the video, but since then I've run out as they have sold their machine and exported it to India but on a trip to the Uk this year, Hivemaker put me in touch with a large printers near him (in Taunton if i remember correctly) , so i went and collected a load of sheets. Interestingly, they were cheaper than i pay here but like so many, they too have sold their machine and now use different technology so it wont be long before all their stock has vanished!!
I picked up 200 more at 50 p each. more than happy to pass on their name and address if you want to pm me.
What i will use after this, who knows. We can buy the metal on a roll here, but its more than double the price. Trop Cher!!

Basically similar to the ones I made several years ago. The main difference with my covers was the small folded inserts, I used under each corner, to absolutely prevent any moisture ingress at the corner cuts. I don't expect mine to ever need any repairs in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Back