Brit National hive question ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naxx3

New Bee
Reaction score
I wanted to ask if the British National hive system makes making and equipping your own frames easier and cheaper?

The langstroth setup when I try to make my own frames and boxes it is ridiculously hard. In part the smaller the parts are the more you need a special saw. And man do nice table saws cost a lot.

If the national hive system is easier to craft your own frames for I'll be sorely temped to try them, (compared to Langstroth).

I have made my own hive box deeps and its starting work out, though the first few I sort of made a mess of while figuring it out.

But here is one of my observations....

The 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of plywood here in the US cost twice as much for the same thing that they did 4 months ago. This huge price increase so quickly I found alarming.

I wanted to ask if the British National hive system makes making and equipping your own frames easier and cheaper?

The langstroth setup when I try to make my own frames and boxes it is ridiculously hard. In part the smaller the parts are the more you need a special saw. And man do nice table saws cost a lot.

If the national hive system is easier to craft your own frames for I'll be sorely temped to try them, (compared to Langstroth).

I have made my own hive box deeps and its starting work out, though the first few I sort of made a mess of while figuring it out.

The 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of plywood here in the US cost twice as much for the same thing that they did 4 months ago. This huge price increase so quickly I found alarming.
National hives are a pain in the arse to make in comparison to Lang’s don’t even think about it, Lang’s and the frames are a far easier construction. The long lugs on British standard frames also cause issues in box construction. Ian

:laughing-smiley-014:giggle:that's what I thought

But, as I am sure you know, Smith frames do fit into a national box perfectly well - you just have to position them carefully each time you move them. So you could just buy a national poly?

(I suspect this is why no-one will ever bother to make a Smith poly)

Last edited:
But, as I am sure you know, Smith frames do fit into a national box perfectly well - you just have to position them carefully each time you move them. So you could just buy a national poly?

(I suspect this is why no-one will ever bother to make a Smith poly)
Yup. I do however prefer top bee space so will go langstroth poly. Its a toss-up between Honey paw and Paradise at the moment.

Interestingly enough I was given a substantial number of paradise bee box langstroth poly hives about eight of which I have converted to hold smith frames. I manage to get 13 smith frames in each box and with small insert at the base of the box these work wonderfully. This gives me the flexability to maintain a degree of compatability of wax sheets I hold in stock. The remaining paradise boxes(8) are still langstroth but are plastic frames and sheets.

I have been making hives and frames for nationals all winter.
Ideally you will need a router table, chop or mitre saw, band saw and table saw are nice.
Just be careful of the wood you buy. As few knots as possible.
Cost vs time, no brainer, of course its cheaper to buy if you factor your own labour costs. BUT you have the satisfaction of knowing how it all works and if you like working in wood, you have a really good project on your hands.
Dave Cushmans web site tells you all you need to know. Don't mess up the bee space!

Ideally you will need a router table, chop or mitre saw, band saw and table saw are nice.
Cost vs time, no brainer, of course its cheaper to buy if you factor your own labour costs. BUT you have the satisfaction of knowing how it all works and if you like working in wood, you have a really good project on your hands.
Dave Cushmans web site tells you all you need to know. Don't mess up the bee space!

I like it!~

I salute your efforts.

I agree that its cheaper to build than buy... as long as you have transport abilities.

I hope to hear how it goes.

I thought swienty did a smith some years ago I suggest you mail itld.

I love making my own equipment but I draw the line at frames. I do assemble them but making them is just too much work.

Back