Brit National hive question ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was also a Swienty/Denrosa version but I don't think it's in production anymore. Might be worth investigating if you've got the time and sufficient interest
There was indeed...that would be me! Still have a stack of them. Long mtime ago now...it was something of a prototype but worked well as a Smith...has some issues as a National (used the same mould to save at the outset). However too many variants came onto the market and everyone was wanting this or that special feature. We stopped production when Swienty then came up with a new mould...I am sure it is still available...but I had no involvement with that.

I started with commercials and don't think I'd change.
The only issue is if I want to raise and sell nucs I'll have to get some national kit.

Most of our local beeks use Commercial brood boxes and National supers. Seems the ideal combination if you have large colonies, much easier than National brood and a half. Maisemore do Commercial 6 frame poly nucs.

I use a partial shook swarm method to transfer a colony to a National box. Remove the supers and put into the roof so the house bees can't escape. Find and cage the queen, shake most of the bees from the old brood box into the new one and add her. Seal the new box and take it away. Replace the supers on the old box, then the house bees will start QCs and continue minding the brood while the flying bees carry on foraging. Simples!

Most of our local beeks use Commercial brood boxes and National supers. Seems the ideal combination if you have large colonies, much easier than National brood and a half. Maisemore do Commercial 6 frame poly nucs.

I use a partial shook swarm method to transfer a colony to a National box. Remove the supers and put into the roof so the house bees can't escape. Find and cage the queen, shake most of the bees from the old brood box into the new one and add her. Seal the new box and take it away. Replace the supers on the old box, then the house bees will start QCs and continue minding the brood while the flying bees carry on foraging. Simples!

I have a maisemore six frame nuc I got last year and I'm quite impressed with it so far.

I was only considering national nucs as they seem to be what everyone wants. I'm not sure on the demand for commercial nuc colonies.

I have an idea on how I can produce a flow of nucs for sale and have the process be self sustaining but I need to put it into practice to see if the bees agree with my theory. :)

Most of our local beeks use Commercial brood boxes and National supers.

Having used a lot of commercials at one stage, years ago, I always find it odd that others often use the national super with the 16x10 brood. Personally I think the commercial super is the best part of the hive and if I was starting again, with nationals, (assuming I was using shallow supers) the 16x6 box would definitely be my choice over the standard bs shallow box.

Having used a lot of commercials at one stage, years ago, I always find it odd that others often use the national super with the 16x10 brood. Personally I think the commercial super is the best part of the hive and if I was starting again, with nationals, (assuming I was using shallow supers) the 16x6 box would definitely be my choice over the standard bs shallow box.

The only problem with commercial supers is they are tricky to lift when full because of the weight and the small handholds. It's much easier to lift a national super off the top of a stack, especially if you have a dodgy back like mine!

Latest posts

Back