Metal sheet bending-hive roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that by using a pair of wide mouth pliers used for stretching the canvass when you make canvass frames for oil painting, very good as well for bending the sheet metal.

The jaws on mine are 2.5 inches wide. They were cheap on E Bay as I make my own canvass frames for painting.

I see you can get some with jaws up to 8 inches (specifically for metal sheet bending).

I would love a pair of them!

Regards

I have a very simple tool I made that I used to bend literally 100's of aluminium sheets for hive rooves and all from .8 or .5 aluminium. Very easy to use and easy to make.

Once you have cut the corners it literally took 1-2 mins to bend a sheet. You can even over bend slightly so the sheet griped the timber.

Last edited:
I have found that by using a pair of wide mouth pliers used for stretching the canvass when you make canvass frames for oil painting, very good as well for bending the sheet metal.

The jaws on mine are 2.5 inches wide. They were cheap on E Bay as I make my own canvass frames for painting.

I see you can get some with jaws up to 8 inches (specifically for metal sheet bending).

I would love a pair of them!

Regards

Get a length of angle iron in excess of twice the width of the sheet you wish to bend. Cut one of the sides halfway along and with heat, brute force and a hammer bend it back on itself to form a traditional bending clamp. Slide the aluminium sheet through to the point of bend, clamp the end of the iron in a BFO (Tm jbm) vice and bend the sheet with the assistance of a wide former and hammer. once you have the gear it takes longer to describe than do.

Cheers Richard for that video.

The video confirms the problem I have and that's re the gauge sheet I use as its to thick.

I would love to know of a printer who has some of that lovely thin metal sheet.

I love making hives and nucs and really enjoy the metal work side re forming the roofs.

Regards

Olivia9801

Just find your nearest lithographic printer, theyre usually happy to give them away. Really easy to work, so no need for any extra kit.

I have a very simple tool I made that I used to bend literally 100's of aluminium sheets for hive rooves and all from .8 or .5 aluminium. Very easy to use and easy to make.

Once you have cut the corners it literally took 1-2 mins to bend a sheet. You can even over bend slightly so the sheet griped the timber.

I dont even cut any more. I line up all the edges and then crease them down from above, at the corners i just make a fold and fix them in with one 16mm screw in the fold. If ever you need to replace the wood, you can remove the sheet. If their stapled invariably you tear the lithograph sheet.

We all do what works fore us. I started stapling, cutting and bending, now i can fix a roof metal in half the time. I am starting making another load next week.

Lithograph sheet is fine for the method you describe.

I worked most of the time with .5 or .8 mm ally. I was once given a full pack of unused ally sheets, about 50 from a printer, and they were great for covering some simple ply nucs.

Work on a flat table - place some angle iron 2mm behind the line with the flap to be bent sticking out from the table top (so you can easily get your fingers underneath it) and bend upwards with your fingers. If the length to be bent is long, then bend the two 'ends' up slightly, then the middle. Gradually work each area in turn upwards until vertical. Then bend the flap well over the right-angle, then pull it back to 90 degrees:

anfzfc.jpg

I then use felt clout tacks to secure:

5y94x2.jpg

I make all my roofs from aluminium ex-scrapped caravans - about 1.0mm thick - it's soft and easy to work with just your hands and hand tools - no need for any fancy presses etc.

LJ

Many Thanks LIttle John for the pictures as well.

Your finished product with this technique looks really neat as well.

Happy Christmas!

Olivia9801

Latest posts

Back