Hive roof sheet materials?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbydaler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I currently building some hives so I’m ready for expansion in spring! Looking for advice on sheet metal for the roof, aluminium is cheaper but will it last? Or does anyone know where to buy galvanised steel at a reasonable price?

I've made my own galvanised roofs and aluminium ones, plus I have a selection of commercially made galvanised lids and colorbond steel ones.

Some of the galvanised commercial ones are very old, being probably third hand or more. No signs of corrosion. Strong and durable. Hard to cut and bend yourself however.

The aluminium ones I made were easy enough to cut and to bend without any cutting on the corners, so do not leak on the corners without any use of silicone, but are soft and distort when I throw them on rocks and put the emlock strap around them ...or drop something sharp and heavy on them :oops: They were cheap to make as I bought a 10 metre roll of aluminium sheet. I can't say how long they will last because I only made them this year, but the way I'm treating them.....perhaps not long.

The commercial colorbond steel ones are strong and durable and pre-painted white. The galv. ones I have painted white so as not to absorb the sun's rays and heat up the lid.

Old caravans for sheet alli......anneal prior to cutting and folding
Cost £0 !

galvanised steel at a reasonable price
https://beehivebits.co.uk/galvanised-metal-roofs-293-p.asphttps://bees-online.co.uk/products/category/Metal Hive Parts/NAT-METAL-ROOF-COVERThorne £16.90 National Roof Metal
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/roof-metal.4687/https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/galvanised-metal-roof-sheet.27987/
Years ago I bought castellations and mouseguards from BeehiveBits and I agree with Neil: metal was too thin. It affected performance and was really a waste of money. Worth paying Thorne extra for thicker metal (not that I use castellations any more).

On the other hand, once you fix an £8 metal roof it's not going anywhere and likely to be fine. Maisemore is not far behind; perhaps ask them all to give you metal thickness.

I’ve not used beehivebits.co.uk before, but it looks a brilliant site and very reasonably priced. Well worth a try 🐝

Only if you've plenty of time and all the gear to do the job!
Exactly, and it looks like c**p in the end! 😀
I agree with your comments re Bee Hive Bits roofs being thin but as you say once secured to a bit of ply/OSB they do the job.

Years ago I bought castellations and mouseguards from BeehiveBits and I agree with Neil: metal was too thin.
They are awful, bought a load of castellations from them a few years ago, really not fit for purpose. Now got to go through the hassle of replacing them

Yep. Expensive in the end, weren't they? I have a dozen and occasionally try to conjure a way to re-purpose them; recycling box, probably.
I agree about the castellations etc. but don't p**s on Cobbydaler's chips now he's ordered. The roofs are ok, I have quite a few which as I said do the job. 😊

8x4 sheet of aluminium are great cost around 30 euro and can make 8 roofs very easy to bend and cut
Galvanized metal even cheaper cost about 18 euro but is harder to bend better off with aluminium alot less time to work

I certainly couldn’t be bothered to cut a caravan up to save £8 😂
20 roofs plus a bonus of £8.00 when I weighed in the scrap bits that I could not use ,,, that was 8p a kilo!!, but disposed of the waste metal.
Roofs are good as anything you could buy and probably the metal is thicker.

I suppose a certain level of skill is required to make them look professional and I must admit I see lots of "crap" DIY hives.... so probably not for everyone.

Nadelik Lowen

8x4 sheet of aluminium are great cost around 30 euro and can make 8 roofs very easy to bend and cut
Galvanized metal even cheaper cost about 18 euro but is harder to bend better off with aluminium alot less time to work
You must have a good local supplier as the best I can get for a 2500x1250 sheet of 0.9mm (8 roofs) is over £70 delivered which works out about £9/roof. Plus the hassle of making them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back