Alternative hive roof material??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone thought of using black rubber sheeting as an alternative to thin metal sheet for roofing their hives?

Its quite reasonable at about £10.00 for a sheet 3-4mm thick measuring approx 1.2m x 1metre.

Its only disadvantage is gluing it, but that can be a lot easier than bending sheet metal.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this?

Regards

Olivia9801

We use rubber pond liner on our chicken house roof, don't bother to glue it, use either 'clout' nails around the edge or a thin batten nailed on.

P.S. Try water garden centers, they may have offcuts at a good price,too small for a pond but big enough for a hive.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of using black rubber sheeting as an alternative to thin metal sheet for roofing their hives?

Its quite reasonable at about £10.00 for a sheet 3-4mm thick measuring approx 1.2m x 1metre.

Its only disadvantage is gluing it, but that can be a lot easier than bending sheet metal.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this?

Regards

Olivia9801

Just seen a Brother Adam roof that Redwood has made with rubber sheeting that was too narrow to cover a standard flat roof - a squirt of mastic around the edges and job done - looks good.

Correx is excellent. Use waterproof tape to hold it together. About £1.50 per roof, or free if scrounged/salvaged.

IT is important to me that I can lift the box down on roof, when I open the hive.

I get cutted steel plates £ 3 a piece.

A hot smoker on a rubber roof may not be a good idea. Also, rubber is vulnerable to punctures from brambles etc. but if just turned upside down on a hive stand when inspecting would be OK.
Agree about pond liner (UV protected) - we use it to cover our garden tables and never had a leak.

Last edited:
Rubber is a great material for hive roofs but it will degrade over time. I had some 3 mm rubber off cuts in my shed so I made a Brother Adams style roof with a modern twist. picture below is without its rubber which was glued using http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Impact/6 and black silicon sealer around the edges.
I left the rubber overhang a couple of mm to allow the water to fall clear of the sides of the hive.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 92
Same, I wouldn't be sure about the longer term effectiveness of rubber. I replaced some on a flat garage roof a few years ago. It was then covered with a layer of pebbles and the supplier told me the pebbles were need to keep the sun off and stop it degrading. It was the same stuff used for ponds, called butyl rubber.
But if I had a cheap source of it, I would definitely try it.

I make roofs from celotex/insulation.
Light and strong. None of this heavy lifting. With overlapping roofs to keep hive sides dry.

(Biggest loss of heat after loss of hot air is evaporation of water from wet hive sides and roof)

I have some nice rubber mats that haven't degraded after years in all weathers. Nearly an inch thick and too heavy for the wind to move.

I have some nice rubber mats that haven't degraded after years in all weathers. Nearly an inch thick and too heavy for the wind to move.

Lot of those kicking around in our neck of the woods, we used to use them to floor the horse boxes,garage floors, practice mats at the cricket club - apparently some would use them as colliery conveyor belts :D

Glad to see that quite a few have tried rubber roofs for their hives.

The idea of butyl pond liner is something I didn't think of and glad I have asked as this maybe more economical than my original option!

Was thinking of using an adhesive to fix it mind rather than clout nails.

Many Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Rubber is a great material for hive roofs but it will degrade over time. I had some 3 mm rubber off cuts in my shed so I made a Brother Adams style roof with a modern twist. picture below is without its rubber which was glued using http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Impact/6 and black silicon sealer around the edges.
I left the rubber overhang a couple of mm to allow the water to fall clear of the sides of the hive.

Nice job ....

Glad to see that quite a few have tried rubber roofs for their hives.

The idea of butyl pond liner is something I didn't think of and glad I have asked as this maybe more economical than my original option!

Was thinking of using an adhesive to fix it mind rather than clout nails.

Many Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Probably safer and easier to fasten with nails than ahesive.

Latest posts

Back