Messed up today, what to do next?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
3!
After a great week last week in which I extracted 44lbs of honey from one hive (none from my girls in the other hive who REFUSED to even draw one super of foundation but have masses of stores in the brood box!) I think I messed up today.

After I'd extracted the honey I returned the frames for the bees to clean on three supers (0ne had very little honey on just a couple of frames so I hadn't spun that). Today, went to retrieve frames and put apiguard on.

All frames were cleaned up nicely BUT the bees were still in the supers and really angry, following me and in quite attacking mode.. After having one sting last week (from the naughty, non producing hive) I panicked a bit and just removed the supers and left them in the field with bees on a few feet from hive to go back for tonight.

I stupidly put the apiguard on top of hole on crown board the wrong way up ie gel side down - and for some even more stupid reason that i cant fathom did it on both hives.

Question, will this do the bees any harm -it wasn't very solid so might drip down through the brood frames. I'm reluctant to disturb them again for a good few days. Advice (or hopefully reassurance!) gratefully received.

Suit up and sort it out. You should read the instructions thoroughly before using any medication on your bees. That way you won't get panicked.

Craig

Do not worry too much!

Seems like a possible way to treat for varroa.... is there any reason why Apigard can not be administered this way?

I have in the past put the Apigard straight from the tub onto the top of the frames... before realising what the bits of cardboard were for!

Good luck... at least you are treating !!!

Sorted! Can't say they were pleased to see me but as they were indoors for the night, it wasn't a problem to whip apiguard tray off top of crown board, flip and return. Also got all supers back now the girls have finished their cleaning.
Thanks for the kick Veg, I knew what I needed to do but last week's sting and todays's angry girls made me look for another way out. Wasn't a problem so confidence restored :)

Well done, Starcana!

I also have found myself a little more intimidated this year, with my hives in full flow and the girls not entirely happy to have me nicking their honey.

But you got back in there and sorted it. All credit to you.

Dusty

Sorted! Can't say they were pleased to see me but as they were indoors for the night, it wasn't a problem to whip apiguard tray off top of crown board, flip and return. Also got all supers back now the girls have finished their cleaning.
Thanks for the kick Veg, I knew what I needed to do but last week's sting and todays's angry girls made me look for another way out. Wasn't a problem so confidence restored :)

Shold not the Apiguard be placed on top of the frames in the little foil tray supplied... with a 9mm eke to allow bees access to the paste?
Crownboard goes on top of this with feed hole covered?
Well that is what I do !!!

I'm sure you're right ICAN but in a WBC I can't see what difference it makes if its on top of the crown board with the feed holes open and when I went in they were some already up there with it??????? Don't tell me I've got to change it again tomorrow :-( as I've always done it like that (and I've only got one eke anyways s never found a use for it in my hives!

Well done, Starcana!

I also have found myself a little more intimidated this year, with my hives in full flow and the girls not entirely happy to have me nicking their honey.

But you got back in there and sorted it. All credit to you.

Dusty

:iagree:Keep enjoying your bees, I find that they 'waste' a lot of our time BUT.

We've just extracted 26lbs. from 3 half filled supers and I'm informed by my resident expert that it's edible.

If only we can stop the b**gers swarming so often we may get a better crop.
We have imported a new gene pool into our apiary so may be next year "could" be better.

Top marks for sorting the problem.

Tim.

I'm sure you're right ICAN but in a WBC I can't see what difference it makes if its on top of the crown board with the feed holes open and when I went in they were some already up there with it??????? Don't tell me I've got to change it again tomorrow :-( as I've always done it like that (and I've only got one eke anyways s never found a use for it in my hives!
It makes a great deal of difference, the fumes are all outside the hive. Anything outside the crown board is outside the hive. The tray should be on the top bars with a shallow eke around it, before a solid crown board with no holes. You can knock up an eke in no time from some pieces of wood.

:
If only we can stop the b**gers swarming so often we may get a better crop.

Clipping queens wings stops swarming, providing you also control QC building during inspections. Clipped Q will go and swarming flyers will go back where they came from but always there are successors QCs so nothing to worry about imho.

When you have more experience you will learn to hold your nerve and finish the job. If your suit is up to the job, then you learn to trust in it. I know I am not going to be stung and so can press on with confidence when required.
Cazza

yes it can be like that especially in the beginning, always remember the first inspection in my second year ....., i just froze in front of the hive for a couple on minutes, but once the hive was opened, i just got on with it, never looked back

yes it can be like that especially in the beginning, always remember the first inspection in my second year ....., i just froze in front of the hive for a couple on minutes, but once the hive was opened, i just got on with it, never looked back

First few spring inspections I feel a lot of angst. I don't know why. But after they have been cleaned up, are neat and tidy and ready for the season it goes. :)

again - read instructions before using any meds.

ALL thymol based products need to be inside minimal volume well sealed hives.

using an empty super instead of an eke will reduce the effectiveness somewhat.

Four bits of wood 2x1 batten will do - don't even need to fix them, gaffer tape them to the crown board and Bob's your auntie

Half inch thick quite or less enough after allowing for recess in the CB. I make them from old trellis - quite enough to allow bees to get at Apiguard if the edges of the tray are turned down a bit.

Back