Manuka Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
I gather from a friend's daughter that a chain of health food shops with the initials H & B in the SW are being burgled and all that's being taken is Manky honey.

Would be less of a prison sentence if they just relabeled Chinese honey as Manky and sold it on, the punters probably wouldn't know the difference.

Would be less of a prison sentence if they just relabeled Chinese honey as Manky and sold it on, the punters probably wouldn't know the difference.

I disagree - the Chinese sh!t probably tastes better. They'd be better off relabelling tubs of axle grease after first mixing in some creosote

I disagree - the Chinese sh!t probably tastes better. They'd be better off relabelling tubs of axle grease after first mixing in some creosote

For those who are new to this forum, our beloved JMB doesn't like 'Manuka puka' honey. You wouldn't have guessed would you? :icon_204-2:

Neither do I
Do you ms?
Perhaps we.....who do not.....can add our names here ;)

Hi ericA. To be honest I've never tried it. I was in H and B a few weeks ago and so the stuff on the shelf. The price for a 500g jar was £50-00!!
I was so taken aback that I went back to check the price and then again as I thought I must have misread the price.
I think at that price I will just have to take JMB's word for it for now. Perhaps some day I'll try it but not today (LOL)
Regards Dave:)
PS Might be interesting to make that list or do a poll if not done already.

MS. Try it
All manookee tastes the same...really
Just buy a cheapish jar from Morrisons or such like.
It's amazing that a supermarket will stock maybe four or five types...
mind you they are always on the top shelf :)

A pretty accurate description by JBM, creosote, germoline, definitely not recommended for spreading on your toast.

Now the sad part. No matter how much I try to convince my parents and brother that manure really is a waste of their money, they continue to buy it. Dad has even told me "there's nothing wrong with manuka!!!"
Needless to say, I don't waste our honey on them anymore.

Well....you just can't get through to some people.
One of my step daughters wanted some of our honey as soon as she knew we kept bees. She adores our honey and treats it with the respect it deserves, her children love it. The other step always asks if we have any but says she doesn't really like it's OK on the gammon joint.
My daughter steals it to give to her friends, advertises it on Facebook and has sent jars to manooki land :)

Now the sad part. No matter how much I try to convince my parents and brother that manure really is a waste of their money, they continue to buy it. Dad has even told me "there's nothing wrong with manuka!!!"
Needless to say, I don't waste our honey on them anymore.

Tell them that what they're eating is probably fake! :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...eatures/the-manuka-honey-scandal-9577344.html
According to New Zealand's leading manuka association, 1,800 tonnes a year of the honey are now consumed in the UK each year, out of an estimated 10,000 tonnes globally. Yet production of the genuine stuff is set at just 1,700 tonnes, or the equivalent to more than three million small jars. Unless Britain has somehow managed to secure all of it, there's a lot of fake manuka on our shelves.

Sigh...................................
This comes up time after time here on the forum.
Yes....... NZ produce MUCH less manuka than is sold to the UK let alone anywhere else.

MS. Try it
All manookee tastes the same...really
Just buy a cheapish jar from Morrisons or such like.
It's amazing that a supermarket will stock maybe four or five types...
mind you they are always on the top shelf :)

Hi ericA
Will have a try at some point and probably post my opinion, if I survive.
Stand by LOL
Regards Dave:)

I could scream at the number of people who ask me if I sell the damn stuff. Tell them all the crap about it and they still aren't convinced. Ended up trying a tactic where I would ask them where their septic wound was that they wanted the Manuka honey for. Total confusion and often a sale (my Honey) after explanation...This was working well until one old dear said...." Well it saved my leg young man, when nothing else worked"......ooops.
No sale there...... currently rethinking new reply....I'm open to suggestions.

Quick reply?
"It saved your leg? Was that by eating it or as an application?"

No doubt you've probably had some who reckon you're just saying that in order to sell your honey. I couldn't give a monkeys about those muppets but I really do shake my head when my parents would rather believe the hype and pay stupid prices when they could have mine for nothing

Application, really bad septic leg infection that normal antibiotics weren't clearing up, used manuka honey as last resort to save her leg. She wasn't joking.
I was embarrassed.

But yes, they all swallow the hype and pay extortionate amounts for it. Makes me really angry as well.
I have considered selling some of my rather old (and now very dark) heather honey and labelling it as English equivalent of Manuka honey at Half the price and charge £12 for a 8oz jar....but then I'd just be encouraging them to buy more of the damn stuff.

Alas, it goes to show what clever marketing can do to a gullible mindset.

It depends whether you are eating honey as a penance or for pleasure.
It really does taste disgusting. Why not offer some as a taster next to yours?

Application, really bad septic leg infection that normal antibiotics weren't clearing up, used manuka honey as last resort to save her leg. She wasn't joking.
I was embarrassed.
I would just have pointed out to her the stupidity of eating somethin meant for topical application - something on the lines of:
'Germolene's good for septic woulds as well - do you spread that on your toast you dozy old bat?'​

Latest posts

Back