Making nuc boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdonphill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have watched Hedgerow Pete's video on making Nuc boxes to take 14"x12" frames.

Can anyone give me the dimensions for the regular National frame nuc boxes? Has anyone got a plan of the parts measurements etc or a pointer as to where I can get one?

many thanks
email: [email protected]

A standard national brood box frame is 8.5 inches tall so you just need to take 3.5 inchs (89mm) out of the middle to make it shorter. All other dimensions are the same.

The measurements for the sides of a nuc for 14x12 frame is 460mmx330mm and the ends 190mmx310mm. What should these be reduced to for a regular national nuc size then?

Cheers

subtract 89mm from the depths of each piece.

oh and make sure you take it out of the MIDDLE of each piece not off the ends.

try using the search feature, it works well like this
Could members have a look at the plan below and tell me if everything sounds right before I start cutting.
Attached Images

Hello from not too far away from you. I've just fiished making some nucs (5 and 6 frame) I used my own measurments - maybe not quite the same as some designs, but they work for me, I've allowed top and bottom space so you don't need a rim on the crown board and use a full width entrance, I've just got to amend the drawing a bit to incorporate a made up rebate from plly rather than rebated timber and I'll PM them to you if you want - they're all in simple word document format rather than line drawings so they're fairly easy to understand
Emyr

Hi,

I have just made a 5 frame nuc, but I am now at the stage where I need to know, do I put a solid floor in or do I make a stand with a mesh covering it similar to what you would expect to find on an open mesh floor full size hive ???

Thanks

an OMF would be good but, to add some additional head scratching, I make mine with a separate floor, attached using standard catches from Screwfix, in order to make cleaning and, in particular, future combining easier. What do you think?

Sorry for late reply been away for BH Weekend. Yes, I was also thinking of making a detachable base for cleaning out purposes, in which case I think I need to look at a few designs regarding ventilation.

Thanks

From the Kiss principle I think nucs should be simple. For ease of use top bee space and a gap at the bottom are good. I make mine so that 4 frames and my diy frame feeders fit in. Mesh floors or detachable floors seem a waste of time. In the time it takes you to make a mesh floor, you could probably make another nuc. You are more likely to need 2 nucs than a nuc with a mesh floor.
However, If overwintering in a nuc then maybe a mesh floor would be a good idea!

Sorry to be a pain but where can I see Hedgerow Pete's video on making Nuc boxes to take 14"x12" frames, please?

Sorry for late reply been away for BH Weekend. Yes, I was also thinking of making a detachable base for cleaning out purposes, in which case I think I need to look at a few designs regarding ventilation.

Thanks

I have a bunch of 5 frame nucs. A couple have detachable bases. I can put one on top of another to combine if one becomes queenless or I can just give 10 frames as a double-nuc if I need to keep the stock in there for a while longer. So a detachable floor works for me. I also have a super for a nuc too. This gave one colony enough space to get through the winter quite comfortably. The queen excluder is a cut-down floppy plastic one.

"I also have a super for a nuc too. This gave one colony enough space to get through the winter quite comfortably. The queen excluder is a cut-down floppy plastic one."

I know the french suoper their nucs and take a honey crop BUT in your case if the idea is to provide enough space/stores to over winter then the QE is surely not necessary? (and certainly NOT left in over winter).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back