Making candles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funny honey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
any Tricks and tips from you guys, I’m guessing I’ll make a mess.

Wick type thickness?
Anyone add anything to it?

It’s just abit of fun for a rainy day got plenty of it building up

Thorne have a wick thickness guide
It’s pretty spot on except you need thicker for tea lights
You will have to have a trial burn as your wax will vary every year
Those silicone sprays are paramount for releasing candles from flexible moulds
Make sure your wax has set properly before release

Thorne have a wick thickness guide
It’s pretty spot on except you need thicker for tea lights
You will have to have a trial burn as your wax will vary every year
Those silicone sprays are paramount for releasing candles from flexible moulds
Make sure your wax has set properly before release

Do I hear the voice of experience?:)

Tripple filter bees wax before dipping candles... dirty wax can smoke and explode.
Put a disclaimer label on anything you try to sell!!!
C Wynne Jones are a lot less expensive than Thornes
Good quality cleaned beeswax sells for more than honey..... we have sold cosmetic grade Cornish cappings wax for as much as £20/kilo in the past.

Yeghes da

Tripple filter bees wax before dipping candles... dirty wax can smoke and explode.
Good quality cleaned beeswax sells for more than honey..... we have sold cosmetic grade Cornish cappings wax for as much as £20/kilo in the past.

Yeghes da

Thanks good to know, I’m just having a play at the minute

we have sold cosmetic grade Cornish cappings wax for as much as £20/kilo in the past.
We sell 1 oz beeswax blocks (filtered) @ £1.50 each. Over £50 a kilo, a highly profitable sideline that saves making candles ......and we sell a lot of them. I only wish I could get that price for all of my filtered beeswax stocks.

Beeswax makes a mess if you spill it on your kitchen work tops - and you will.
If you protect the work top with a length of silicone coated baking parchment the wax peels off easily when cold and you can put it back in the pot.

We sell 1 oz beeswax blocks (filtered) @ £1.50 each. Over £50 a kilo, a highly profitable sideline that saves making candles ......and we sell a lot of them. I only wish I could get that price for all of my filtered beeswax stocks.

Have you seen the price of the new poncy beeswax wraps?

..... fitted an extra secure Chubb padlock and bar to the wax shed and cleaned up the "Rottweiler... go on make my day" sign!.... and given his teeth a good sharpening.

Yeghes da

Yeghes da

How does one know beeswax is cosmetic grade? I ask because I have somebody who has asked for just that for her products but did not know if my wax was of a suitable quality so played it safe and said I don't think it is.

Any one add anything to them seems people like adding coconut oil

How does one know beeswax is cosmetic grade? I ask because I have somebody who has asked for just that for her products but did not know if my wax was of a suitable quality so played it safe and said I don't think it is.

Processed by "boiling" in de - ionised water and filtered to death... so that there are no traces of contaminants
Have tested at a certified lab for micro crystalline inclusions ( other non beeswax waxes) and put through a mass spectrometer / ion capture spectrometer or whatever they call it... to check for Chlorampnenicol and other contaminants often found in imported ( Chinese) bees wax.

Then it is pharmaceutical grade

This costs!

Yeghes da

Processed by "boiling" in de - ionised water and filtered to death... so that there are no traces of contaminants
Have tested at a certified lab for micro crystalline inclusions ( other non beeswax waxes) and put through a mass spectrometer / ion capture spectrometer or whatever they call it... to check for Chlorampnenicol and other contaminants often found in imported ( Chinese) bees wax.

Then it is pharmaceutical grade

This costs!

Yeghes da

Not simple then!!

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back