Cleaning out a brood box.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just spent a horrible rainy day here in NI scrubbing a brood box and old frames. The Bees had died over winter as there was a leak in the roof which I did not notice in time. That's another story. I used my electric heat gun after scraping everything, then washed everything in washing soda. It was a great job. I was so tempted to add a bit of Dettol to the rinsing water but didn't as I wasn't sure it would be Bee friendly. I am letting the brood chamber dry completely before using. My question is ... could I have added a bit of Dettol? Also is there anything else I should do to ensure its clean and safe to use?
I also made up frames and persuaded hubby to finally make up non assembled hive which has been sitting for about three or four years. The reason for all this work is having actually managed to produce three nucs!!

but that doesn't do the job
Just because a heat gun only achieves 50% of the temperature of a flame doesn't mean it won't do a job. I feel most nasties would be obliterated by temperatures in excess of 600 degress?

Oh I did use an electric blow lamp but also washed.
Most of us settle for a blow torch and scrape I’ve used a paint stripper/hot air gun in the past…For a general clean I’m sure you’ve done more than enough. Dettol imo would be a pretty pointless addition.

If you want overkill throw the Dettol away and use Virkon or Bleach. But to be truthful a scrape and a torch is adequate as the others have said.

a good flame gets into every crack and corner, a heat gun doesn't always do that
I tend to find that because the heat is not as fierce with a heat gun, I'm more diligent at getting into the nooks and crannies. Rather than flashing a flame over the area.

I'll flame to get into the waxmoth eggs and larvae on timber boxes.
Running the torch along metal frame runners always produces that toasty protein aroma...
Propolis?-they'll soon make more.
So it does with a heat gun. Gloop boils and smokes and goes crispy, so I don’t think it matters whether you flame or heat, both are effective.

I'll flame to get into the waxmoth eggs and larvae on timber boxes.
Running the torch along metal frame runners always produces that toasty protein aroma...
Propolis?-they'll soon make more.

Never worried about putting bees in new boxes, and I doubt a swarm moving into a new cavity worries about propolis. They’ll soon add it!!! In a beekeepers managed give I’d guess there’s 101 things you could do first to improve a hive’s survival.

Latest posts

Back