Maisemore Jumbo Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Bee 2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello! I bought a Maisemore jumbo feeder this year to reduce syrup 'top up' frequency. I've put it on top of the crown board .. the holes don't match up but I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I tried running some syrup down the holes but the bees still haven't sussed out that there's lots more where that came from above them. Do I have particularly dopey bees or am I just being impatient (only put it on last night) .. or maybe I should remove the crown board??? I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks :willy_nilly:

HI New Bee 2
As long as the bees can access the feeder it shouldn't matter if the holes don't match exactly.
If you put a drop of lemongrass oil in the syrup this helps the bees find it. If you are treating with apiguard at the same time sometimes the bees will ignore the syrup completely.
Cazza

my maisemore feeder

i just put my maisemore feeder straight on top of my frames as there is bee space included underneath, its a well good bit of kit

:iagree:Their feeders are designed to go straight on top of a National. No need for a crown board while it's on.

Oooops .. I got it from P*ynes and their web site said to put it over the crown board. No harm done .. I'll go & remove it now! & the lemongrass oil is on order as 'plan b':)
Thanks so much for your help !!!!

I have mine on 3 hives and also on top of a Crownboard and they took 1-2days to find it but are emptying it fast now!

if there is a beespace under the feeder then no probs with or withour crownboard surely.

Given the likely weight of the thing when full, and the bendyness of a crownboard, my expectation would be that supporting it on a crownboard would at least partly collapse the beespace beneath the crownboard ... making access to the feeder more difficult, thus feeding being slower.

However, if putting it direct onto the frames, access to the feeder would be much better ... but a crownboard above the feeder would restrict any unwanted (robbing) access from above to both feeder and frames.

So, I think it sounds like it should be used with crownboard above this feeder, not beneath. Or has the newb misunderstood? :)

So, I think it sounds like it should be used with crownboard above this feeder, not beneath. Or has the newb misunderstood? :)

No need for a crownboard above as the feeder has a lid and the bees cannot get into the main tank. Personally I've not used it with a crownboard (and wont if the holes dont match up, however I do recall it being rather sticky removing the bees from the base of the unit when its all finished with

There is no need for a CB with the MM Jumbo. The feeders are braced underneath and will easily handle 2 gallons of feed. I use them for small and high volumes of feed and they work well. It's important (imo) to fill them in position as a hefty weight of syrup will make them bend and slop all over your beesuit if you choose to move them 'full'. Any flex in the material doesn't compromise beespace to any degree as the bracing will maintain access to the feeding cones. I use them for quite small volumes of feed too, as if deployed level (as all beehives should be!) the bees can extract right down to the last drop! Beats faffing about with empty supers.

i just had a look at their website to see what this feeder looks like etc. interestingly in their write up on it they say that you'll have to alter the feed hole in your crown board. presumably that implies that they recommend that it's sat on the crown board?

i just had a look at their website to see what this feeder looks like etc. interestingly in their write up on it they say that you'll have to alter the feed hole in your crown board. presumably that implies that they recommend that it's sat on the crown board?

ok. wrong!

using a mini notebook i didn't realise that they have a furter (specifically 'home brand') jumbo feeder lower down the page.... nice website though.

Given the likely weight of the thing when full, and the bendyness of a crownboard, my expectation would be that supporting it on a crownboard would at least partly collapse the beespace beneath the crownboard ... making access to the feeder more difficult, thus feeding being slower.

... Or has the newb misunderstood? :)

... The feeders are braced underneath and will easily handle 2 gallons of feed. ... It's important (imo) to fill them in position as a hefty weight of syrup will make them bend and slop all over your beesuit if you choose to move them 'full'. Any flex in the material doesn't compromise beespace to any degree as the bracing will maintain access to the feeding cones. ...

This thing is supported from beneath, right?

I think we are talking at cross-purposes.
My concern was that the weight of the full feeder on a crownboard would cause the crownboard to flex. And that that would be unhelpful. Hence better to support it, direct onto more rigid frame topbars, utilising the designed beespace below the feeder.
I'm sure that the feeder, in its operational position, would not itself flex unhelpfully. But I'm sure that it might, if carried full! :)

I think the feeder on it's own is strong enough not to flex, but the weight of the syrup on a crown board may make the board bend - thence I think better sans crown board.

I can't understand this debate. A crown board has edging strips. If the MMJF was placed on top of a crown board, the mid bracing strip would be elevated above the 'board' level (in thin air, with no support). This would possibly result in breakage of the base of the feeder, if filled to capacity.

I feel this is getting more complicated than it need to.

As far as I am concerned the maisemore Jumbo feeder (green) can be used directly on top of the broodbox without the crownboard. I use it with both top and bottom beespaced national and have no problem with flexing when not directly supported across the middle.

Moggs are you on top or bottom beespace? If bottom beespace (majority of nationals) then surely your edging strips are on the underneath side of your crownboard.

"surely your edging strips are on the underneath side of your crownboard."

they would be if one made them oneself out of 9mm ply and 9x21mm strip timber BUT commercial ones (eg from TH*rnes) have their ply sat in a channel in the frame meaning the boards are two sided.

BTW - just received my MMJFs (from Payn*s as P&P cheaper). The bracing looks sturdy enough for any situation described.

Last edited:
Thanks everytone for your help on this! Just to let you know that when I went to remove the crownboard the bees had found their way up to the syrup after all!

So I guess they are brighter than I gave them credit for & I just need to be more patient bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back