Maisemore Frame Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hughesie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 1
I have just inspected a hive with a plastic frame feeder from Maisemore and was horrified to find it half full with dead bees in syrup.

And when I say half full I mean half full.

Phoned Maisemore to discuss and I was put through to a Beek who said " sorry sir can't comment we dont use them . !!!!

It was supplied with a float which was inside.

Phone them back and ask for a refund saying it is not fit for purpose.

VEG,

Would you be prepared to ignore the damage caused by this 'unfit for purpose' item?

Don't think I would, what with all the recent posts on the subject - they must know of the problem, surely!

Regards, RAB

I have that make of frame feeder and the float is too small. (see photo)
regards Jim.
album.php

Ooh where is my photo?

Last edited:
VEG,

Would you be prepared to ignore the damage caused by this 'unfit for purpose' item?

Don't think I would, what with all the recent posts on the subject - they must know of the problem, surely!

Regards, RAB

Rab where did I say I would ignore it?
How much would you cost each bee at Rab?

Rab where did I say I would ignore it?
How much would you cost each bee at Rab?

Its not necessarily the cost of each bee in monetary terms but the cost of a large amount of bees to the colony's development. Im still nursing a small colony that should have supers on instead it is in a nuc.Th***s sold me a feeder and disregarded the manufacturers advise leading to a large amount of bees drowning. I got an apology and they sent me a part that the manufacturer recommended not much use as I cant use this feeder on the nuc.

I am interested can someone say if the inside faces of the frame feeder are smooth or has a rough or ribbed surface moulded into the feeder.

If it is smooth then I suspect this may well be the problem, give the surface a good sanding with a rough sand paper and it may improve the situation.

Personally when I have used frame feeders in the past they have always drowned plenty of bees despite my best efforts.

picture.php

Got the photo now, the float is too small as on top of the feeder in the photo, regards Jim

I bought a plastic one from thornes, and copied it in plywood. The plastic one drowns lots of bees, but the wooden one doesn't

"so what is the best type of feeder to use?"

i've heard that flowers are well designed, free and contain insufficient nectar to drown a single bee!!!

seriously - how about filling these frame feeders with damp sugar instead of syrup - that's what has to be used in mating nucs.

After reading the threads on here I decided not to use a frame feeder - the one I boughtr didnt have a float. Instead I put on a 4 pint rapid feeder - thus far I've only had one drowned bee (got caught as I refilled it) sits in an empty super on top of a feeder board (crown board with hole in centre!) you can refill it without opening the hive out so you shouldn't need a bee suit.
Gets my vote from now on.:beatdeadhorse5::)

Famous last words though I didnt need a bee suit lol

Famous last words though I didnt need a bee suit lol
Yes - decided to remove the drowned bee when I next refilled - thought a quick sleight of hand could take feeder off whilst covering feeder hole, quick shake and replace feeder - it worked!!
...but thirty seconds later with my hands full of syrup bottle two fliers decided they'd had enough.
One sting at the back of the neck and one for my spaniel (she loves the bees, spends ages with her nose close to the entrance watching - it hasn't put her off though!):eek:
so as long as you don't try and be clever, it's o.k. not to wear a suit
:laughing-smiley-014

I have just inspected a hive with a plastic frame feeder from Maisemore and was horrified to find it half full with dead bees in syrup.

And when I say half full I mean half full.

Phoned Maisemore to discuss and I was put through to a Beek who said " sorry sir can't comment we dont use them . !!!!

Been there, done that, got the T shirt!:(

Mine was a Th**nes plastic frame feeder with a wodden float but I expect design was similar. Th**nes said to roughen inside with sandpaper.

Decided not to risk it though and used a Rapid feeder instead.

It seems that the manufacturer of the frame feeder has been changed from wooden ones to plastic ones, as I ordered two expecting the wooden one I had bought before and ended up with the plastic ones (another supplier than those mentioned above). I had used them for syrup feed in two nucs - 1 without problem, one with a few dead bees. Since reading first post about these I have only used them to hold fondant.

Seems like theres a major design flaw that needs changing before even more bees are killed. Anyone know who actually makes them?

Back