Lots of pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Looks like the ladies are enjoying the warmth.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.MOV
    35 MB
If your weather has been anything like mine, it's been pretty grim for the last week or so. They're probably desperate for the loo. Are they leaving in pairs?

James

Any idea what pollen? My girls were flying today but no pollen.
No not sure I did see Some catkins at home the other day that looked close but not there just yet, it’s to yellow anyway. At a guess it could be Mahonia but there’s a lot of hives and all appear to have found it.

Any idea what pollen? My girls were flying today but no pollen.
The first thing to bloom is the willow, then almond trees, some type of eucalyptus and later the fruit trees (first the bone ones and then the pip ones).

No not sure I did see Some catkins at home the other day that looked close but not there just yet, it’s to yellow anyway. At a guess it could be Mahonia but there’s a lot of hives and all appear to have found it.
I saw some hazel catkins out about 10 days ago but they were in a very sheltered spot. Others we saw whilst walking were still wrapped up tight!

Took this photo earlier in the week, I was surprised to see out this early.

9A10E9BC-E8F6-4269-92C0-71C3676A1B71.jpeg

Maybe Hellebores? Any out your way?
I do love to see the first lot of pollen go in. We have a lot of willow around...I know it's too early still but watching them pile that in is a joy!

We have lots of willow and hazel locally and the hazel has lots of catkins so i'm presuming my girls are bringing that pollen back. They were super busy yesterday, was lovely to see.

I too have seen pollen coming into the hive, I believe it’s Mohonia and have seen a large bush in full flower in the school grounds.

Around the M25 a bit from Ian and seeing regular pollen coming in. With Sun out and current temperatures bees are flying like its spring. Will need to keep an eye on weights over the next few months.
Before the cold spell prior to Christmas I came across some blackthorn with sloes on one branch, and flowers on another, and a number of other unseasonable flowering plants on the Downs.

Around the M25 a bit from Ian and seeing regular pollen coming in. With Sun out and current temperatures bees are flying like its spring. Will need to keep an eye on weights over the next few months.
Before the cold spell prior to Christmas I came across some blackthorn with sloes on one branch, and flowers on another, and a number of other unseasonable flowering plants on the Downs.
Same here,
We were seeing blackberrys and flowers on the same plant in December! Silly weather.

Latest posts

Back