Lost Gardens go Native

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respond whenever I see "outlandish and irrational" claims being made by Amm enthusiasts.

A commendable approach, by itself. 'Twould benefit from being more even-handed though ?

Somewhere between reams of data and hyperbole, is where most of us are at. Many people, I think, if they wanted what you are selling, could do so.

You seem exasperated that not everyone sees things as you do, but in what field of human endeavour is it beneficial to rub people's noses in it ?

The only lies I see are the unsubstantiated claims of the Amm mob. I've posted photographic evidence of my claims....Nice try though

What a silly person, there you go again, 'Amm mob'. You say my bees swarm every 5 minutes and are full of disease and do not bring in honey.
That's a load of rubbish. Not true. You are telling lies.

The funniest part is your constant demands. Are you really that petrified? A strain of bee whose very existence was denied by the likes of you, should be measured against those with decades of work behind them. What a sad case.

All my colonies have been wonderful both in temperament and in producing honey. None of them have swarmed. The reason I mentioned that one colony in particular was because of a thread where someone wanted a queen in West Wales and these bees are on his doorstep. As usual you waded in.
I really don't care what you think but if you are going to write rubbish, expect people to object.

You say my bees swarm every 5 minutes and are full of disease and do not bring in honey.
That's a load of rubbish. Not true. You are telling lies.

I didn't say anything of the sort. Read it again without the attitude. I don't even know you!

Swarm;646959............................................. All my colonies have been wonderful both in temperament and in producing honey. None of them have swarmed...................QUOTE said:
That's quite splendid old boy and so glad for you. You have Buckfast bees.

What is the truth though?
I've kept several strains of bees...a lot of what you want to keep depends on what each beekeeper wants from his bees. If you want honey monsters then Amm's are not first choice, despite an odd hive out-performing the rest.
To me the problem lies in not informing people when they take up beekeeping what their options are, or the difficulties involved in keeping exotics.

The truth is simple, people are free to choose what bee they want to keep and they should be free to do so without ridicule and/or contempt.
B+ was not describing any Amm that I know, so a pack of lies.
See above for the reason I mentioned my Ceredigion bees. When I said they were good bees, I had the stock 'compared with what' reply. The truth is, all my colonies did very well but that's no surprise really, with the season we had but I should add that none of them has had a drop of syrup either.
No colony with more than 15 varroa on the boards after a week.

The truth is, I love my bees. They are beautiful, simple as that.

Swarm;646959............................................. All my colonies have been wonderful both in temperament and in producing honey. None of them have swarmed...................QUOTE said:
That's quite splendid old boy and so glad for you. You have Buckfast bees.

Do people actually take you seriously? ....Old boy.

I didn't say anything of the sort. Read it again without the attitude. I don't even know you!

Don't try to wriggle off the hook, there are plenty of examples as in the thread I mentioned.
You don't know me but you seem to think you know about Amm.
You don't.

No colony with more than 15 varroa on the boards after a week.

The truth is, I love my bees. They are beautiful, simple as that.
You need to check the real varroa levels. I was finding hives with less than three dropped after a week with the boards in. OA vaping and 400-500 dropped in 24 hours. Be careful there.
Nowt wrong with loving your bees either.
I'm assuming you buy a few genuine Amm queens to keep things going.

Does it make me a bad man if I now want to book a local b&b for the weekend with a wagon load of hives in the back...... my bees deserve a break after all

You need to check the real varroa levels. I was finding hives with less than three dropped after a week with the boards in. OA vaping and 400-500 dropped in 24 hours. Be careful there.
Nowt wrong with loving your bees either.
I'm assuming you buy a few genuine Amm queens to keep things going.

The Ceredigion bees dropped a total of two last Winter, that is total count after vaping. My biggest drop was one colony with around 35.
Not treated yet but put the boards in to check and then left them a week. I counted seven in the Ceredigion bees and the others were between nine and fifteen.
I always treat as a matter of course because, of course, I don't believe the numbers.
Most of my colonies are Amm, with just two F1 and these Welsh natives who also have a daughter.

Does it make me a bad man if I now want to book a local b&b for the weekend with a wagon load of hives in the back...... my bees deserve a break after all

I think we'd all enjoy a break. However, I'd leave the bees at home if I were you. Take the Mrs instead.

The Ceredigion bees dropped a total of two last Winter, that is total count after vaping.

Should be selling them as varroa hygienic bees. No one else is getting levels that low.

"and insist on the propper committee proceedure!!!"

Clearly you have met my mrs

I move.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Damodm-ec

and insist on the propper committee proceedure!!!

Chons da

The topic was discussed so no breach of procedure. The balance of opinion was expressed in the comments made.
IMHO the topic (i.e. the "Native" occupation of parts of Cornwall) is a local matter but also of relevance to Amm enthusiasts. Hence, it would have been better placed in the BIBBA area (although everyone has the right to choose whichever bee they want). Its appearance in the main forum means it is open to debate by anyone with an opinion. Its unfortunate that people take these debates personally.
The way to convince people of your argument is not by hurling abuse but by presenting facts. If you have factual information to present, please do so. It's the repetition of propaganda (unsubstantiated claims) that does your cause no good.

Last edited:
The truth is simple, people are free to choose what bee they want to keep and they should be free to do so without ridicule and/or contempt...........

A fundamental truth, eloquently articulated, you are displaying a commendable understanding of the social principles on which the keeping of bees should be based. So why do you constantly adopt such an adversarial attitude here on the forum, I doubt that would be you in real life? Both B+ and Beefriendly are knowledgeable and approachable and do not seek confrontation and neither do I. There is no sense in following the lead of Jenkins, he is at war with the world, though mercifully seems to have been silenced at the moment. Perhaps we should all move forwards by first taking a step or two backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back