Lost Gardens go Native

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
The B4 Project is being featured on the Today program at 8.20am on Saturday the 22nd of September.
Sir Tim Smit will highlight the B4 Project and bring attention to University of Plymouth colony survey of Cornwall and The Lost Gardens of Heligan declaration of Native Honey Bee Reserve status

The B4 Project is being featured on the Today program at 8.20am on Saturday the 22nd of September.

As I said (BEFORE lots of posts went missing), it's the usual BIBBA propaganda.

They would have you believe that their way is the only way and imported bees can't survive, let alone thrive here. Well, anyone who has seen my posts will know that isn't true. My Amc colonies usually fill 5-6 Langstroth deeps (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3907 https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3906 https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3832 https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3744). Not bad for a bee that can't survive here!

Agree with B+

Was directed to the broadcast and it was indeed full of fallacies...but it does seem as if HE believes the stuff.

Also....no matter how often..till blue in the face.....you tell people that the vast majority of Italian imports are NOT Italian bees, rather bees selected from and raised for their northern clientele, the information just gets blanked as if it did not exist. Straight back to allegations that they are Italian (as in ligustica) that will not survive. Its total rubbish and yes, have to say 'propaganda' is not an inaccurate word.

The main guys I know of out there do not breed or sell ligustica, its mainly Buckfast from northern sources...mostly Finland, Germany and Denmark.....and also a large number from our own top bees supplied out there and taking advantage of their much earlier season....but southern bees they are not.

Been down the road of trying to discuss with these guys but they have missionary zeal even if its tripe, so you can be standing beside 1000 hives, all with a big honey crop, and you can produce the statistics to show LOW losses and low disease incidence, and it will STILL be blanked as if it did not exist, and the convenient cases (of which there are some) of people with bad exeriences of ligustica bees will be trotted out again and again, as if everything else was a lie or did not exist. Only one way for that crew..... Black bees good saintly creatures, all other types are soft no good disease prone rubbish that turn utterly vicious upon crossing.

In the past I mentioned a truly racist (bee racist that is) book that hit the bin here in frustration............I see from this thread my opinion is not only mines.

Much of the negative publicity given to non native type bees is just mud slinging to 'blacken' (lol) their reputation, when in our experience...over heaven knows how many thousands of colonies of experience... is that the negativity is rubbish.

Ooh a blast of common sense!!!!!

Ooh a blast of common sense!!!!!

And another one
see p343 BBKA News No 224 - October 2018 Queen and Bee Imports by Anne Rowberry. BBKA Trustee.
AND p330 Queen replacement Survey Defra.......

Majority of beekeepers in the UK are hobbyists and have a concern as to the cost to the environment keeping bees may have.

Unfortunately there is a cohort of environmentalists who believe that beekeepers and specifically the larger beefarmers with 1000s of colonies are having an impact on the environment by bees competing for forage with endemic pollinators...
I for one are going to be quiet about the amount of honey my bees produce even though I breed my own and do not have any need to import.

Not looking for a fight... just a balanced argument.

Yeghes da

Sir Tim Smit will highlight the B4 Project and bring attention to University of Plymouth colony survey of Cornwall and The Lost Gardens of Heligan declaration of Native Honey Bee Reserve status

Just so that you can here what Sir Tim and Martha had to say... here is the BBC radio broadcast that has got the bee importers buzzing around looking for a victim to sting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhU84502di8

Don't shoot me... I am just the messenger!!!

Chons da

It's not a balanced argument when you have people on the radio trying to indoctrinate newbies who know no better and non-beekeepers who don't know anything at all.

Perhaps you should have a slot on BBC Radio to present the case for importing 14843 queens and nearly 2000 nucs/packages of bees and what you are doing to address the problem.
Since the BBC programme Right of Reply is no longer broadcast, it seems You and yours has taken over the reigns.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9

Chons da

Perhaps you should have a slot on BBC Radio to present the case for importing 14843 queens and nearly 2000 nucs/packages of bees and what you are doing to address the problem.

Importing bees isn't a problem. Beekeepers want something they can't get here. So, they buy it from abroad. You may not like it, but, it's just like putting petrol in your car. Some of it comes from abroad.
I think ITLD has done that many times.
It's simple, beekeepers want queens earlier than they can be produced here. They want queens that produce strong, calm, varroa and disease resistant colonies, lots of honey and don't swarm every five minutes. That's what I have. Some members of this forum have been to my apiaries and seen them. Can you say the same? Why weren't you willing to send some to ITLD for a fair test (as I did)...oh wait, the were too delicate for the Scottish climate! :owned::icon_204-2:

Last edited:
Importing bees isn't a problem. Beekeepers want something they can't get here. So, they buy it from abroad. You may not like it, but, it's just like putting petrol in your car. Some of it comes from abroad.
It's simple, beekeepers want queens earlier than they can be produced here. They want queens that produce strong, calm, varroa and disease resistant colonies, lots of honey and don't swarm every five minutes. That's what I have. Some members of this forum have been to my apiaries and seen them. Can you say the same? Why weren't you willing to send some to ITLD for a fair test (as I did)...oh wait, the were too delicate for the Scottish climate! :owned::icon_204-2:

Don't you see that your silly statement above is no different when it comes to indoctrinating newbies?
My bees are calm and do not swarm every five minutes and one colony in particular has only dropped a couple of varroa naturally or during vaping. No sign of disease (are you really implying disease ridden black bees?) They produced seven supers of honey and a split that produced three of their own. The split have shown the same wonderful temperament.

Aren't you trying to influence others? You post your links often enough and you tell porkies whenever black bees are mentioned.

It's misleading to say 'Beekeepers want something they can't get here'.

Perhaps people who don't care about sustainability find the distinction between 'wants' and 'needs' a bit traumatic.

The easy, satisfying, beekeeping answer for the overwhelming majority is - overwintered nucs. Not difficult to do, it should really be taught on basic beekeeping courses.

You aren't the only one producing strong, calm, varroa and disease resistant colonies, lots of honey and don't swarm every five minutes

You can cry 'indoctrination' all you like, yet when outlandish and irrational nonsense is spouted about Amm, you're there every time, reinforcing the bs. You are no better than what you are so critical of. That's the truth.

So continue to condescend, as you do, yet there remain here experienced beekeepers who remain unconvinced by your spiel.

Aren't you trying to influence others? You post your links often enough and you tell porkies whenever black bees are mentioned.
I show the complete truth...no porkies!
I post photographic evidence. All I see from the Amm advocates is propaganda. All I do is encourage people to test for themselves. Nothing more.
The EVIDENCE speaks for itself.

You can cry 'indoctrination' all you like, yet when outlandish and irrational nonsense is spouted about Amm, you're there every time, reinforcing the bs. You are no better than what you are so critical of. That's the truth.

So continue to condescend, as you do, yet there remain here experienced beekeepers who remain unconvinced by your spiel.

I respond whenever I see "outlandish and irrational" claims being made by Amm enthusiasts (I'm sure some of it must slip past me though).
The difference is: I test my stock according to a recommended set of tests (see Coloss). I've yet to see ANY results from Amm enthusiasts.

Maybe you are simply unaware of the truth then? Because your post is just a pack of lies and nonsense.

Be honest, your 'all I do' is very insulting and perpetuates with every mention of Amm.
You must be a very paranoid individual.

Methinks the gardens are really lost now! Next they will be importing native Cornish bees from Co. Louth. That chap rattling on about Black bees should know that being black, it does not necessarily make them native. Plenty of black bees about, reasonable honey producers, reasonable temperament and not prone to disease or excessive swarming. Breeders love them, they can play the "native bee man" and sell their AMM crossbreeds to the expert newcomers, who know every thing!

Maybe you are simply unaware of the truth then?

What is the truth though?
I've kept several strains of bees...a lot of what you want to keep depends on what each beekeeper wants from his bees. If you want honey monsters then Amm's are not first choice, despite an odd hive out-performing the rest.
To me the problem lies in not informing people when they take up beekeeping what their options are, or the difficulties involved in keeping exotics.

One of the more vocal members of the black bee group in my area cost me two heather sites last year spreading lie's about my imports, apparently they are full of disease and aggressive to the point of being dangerous and under no circumstances am I allowed to place hives anywhere near her mountain, must be physic as I am not aware that anyone other than my SBI has been in the hives.

Each to their own, farming is farming and a hobby is just that a hobby with no financial impact, it is easy to judge when your livelihood does not depend on your stocks.

Maybe you are simply unaware of the truth then? Because your post is just a pack of lies and nonsense.

Be honest, your 'all I do' is very insulting and perpetuates with every mention of Amm.
You must be a very paranoid individual.

The only lies I see are the unsubstantiated claims of the Amm mob. I've posted photographic evidence of my claims....Nice try though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back