Losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanH

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well my association have done a quick visual inspection and we have lost 3 out of 4 of the hives at one apiary.
The one left is not in a good way either and is having to be fed.

Well my association have done a quick visual inspection and we have lost 3 out of 4 of the hives at one apiary.

As i am only around the M25 from you at South Mimms that concerns me,

any initial views on why

viz:

types of bees
starved by not crossing frames
starved as too light going in
Varroa levels
Nosema etc

on my association apiary we have lost a few to woodepecker but so far only one to starvation and that was a small colony with wasp robing problems in september, so it was the most likely to fail

As i am only around the M25 from you at South Mimms that concerns me,

any initial views on why

viz:

types of bees
starved by not crossing frames
starved as too light going in
Varroa levels
Nosema etc
How set up/insulation/omf

on my association apiary we have lost a few to woodepecker but so far only one to starvation and that was a small colony with wasp robing problems in september, so it was the most likely to fail

All hive went into the winter treated for Varroa and Nosema.
They were all well feed or had good stores.

The strong ones are the ones that have died, the weakest one is the one they are now trying to save. I,m told that the weak one has stores but the bees are not eating them.
This is now being fed with bakers fondant.

With what were they treated for varroa and nosema?

Before we all enter the interrogation room, I know i would be interested in finding out some more details. Once a full investigation has taken place e.g. disease, poison, isolation starvation, predators etc.. I too have a couple of colonies I was 50/50 about amalgamating and am watching with everything crossed that they make it through.

Before we all enter the interrogation room, I know i would be interested in finding out some more details. Once a full investigation has taken place e.g. disease, poison, isolation starvation, predators etc.. I too have a couple of colonies I was 50/50 about amalgamating and am watching with everything crossed that they make it through.

it did get quite cold in west london, down to minus 14 oC so they would have been more stressed than a average winter when in London plus 2 as the minimum

Latest posts

Back