Local honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell mine at £4 per lb. I have a few boxes of lb jars left once these are gone I will move to the 12 oz jars and keep the price the same. Most people in our association have roughly the same prices.

Hmm.. "most people" in my association charge the same.....

Time to break the mould?

Not being funny here but... more, a lot more is achievable if you latch on to the advice on the forum and go for it.

PH

We have had 89 pounds of honey off one hive so far this year and have just bought a warming cabinet to help make softest. Am looking for a mixing paddle to stir it that doesn't cost the Thornes price!
We have unusual 12oz jars with cloth hats and rafia, professional labels, and will looking to sell for between 5.50 and 6 pounds to shops or public.
That is when we make it ...need a little quiet time first.
Sam

honey

I think honey is like all things for sale....its only worth what someone is willing to pay, but that said I have no qualms paying a fiver for a jarful, but remember Joe Public does'nt have a clue what work goes into it, but if it flies out at a fiver or more then pricing must be correct. "Locally produced" on the label justifies the price alone, as opposed to the usual "produce of more than one country".

honey

I think honey is like all things for sale....its only worth what someone is willing to pay, but that said I have no qualms paying a fiver for a jarful, but remember Joe Public does'nt have a clue what work goes into it, but if it flies out at a fiver or more then pricing must be correct. "Locally produced" on the label justifies the price alone, as opposed to the usual "produce of more than one country".

I think honey is like all things for sale....its only worth what someone is willing to pay

:iagree:

I suspect that honey prices are elastic, ie correlate with supply and demand. The evidence is that there is strong demand for locally produced honey, and in the last few years supply has been lacking due to poor crops.

The point is that some honey sellers (eg the local health store shopkeeper cited earlier and PH) have discovered that some honey buyers are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. To maximise the profit from our operations, we should dress the product (jar, label) and pitch at the premium market first and only reduce prices if there is insufficient demand to sell the stock.

I've been selling a local beekeeper's honey in my town centre shop for years - since I've recently started keeping my own bees (thanks to his guidance) I'm thinking he's been selling it way to cheap all this time! He does produce on a large scale, with well over 100 colonies, but it does clearly affect the local market here as I sell his honey at a comparable price to other similar shops selling other local honey in my area. It's a great deal cheaper than the figures you all are quoting here.

So as a shop owner who deals with public demand in your area what do you think are reasonable numbers then?
Sam

Alex? The reason he is " a great deal cheaper" is likely two fold.

He is effectively commercial and so "has" to sell his crop as he has serious over heads to pay.

He is also in a commercial comfort zone and I will take a punt and guess he uses a bog standard squat jar with a bog standard label on it. I hope I am wrong but ....

If the above is the case then there is scope for some gentle education. If he is using a top line jar and label then it's more difficult.

For years I have preached the virtues of marketing and when I was myself commercial I used every trick I could think of to boost my sales and appeal. I sold my honey at some £1-50 to £2 per pound more than most did on the basis of my jar and label so feel I am "qualified" to talk on this one. This in the early 1990's when a pound even then was worth rather more than it is now.

Just had a thought and went looking for a comparison site and it says this:

£1.00 in 1995 is equivalent to £1.29 in 2010
£4.50 in 1995 is equivalent to £5.80 in 2010

Given I was achieving that price then how undervalued is £3 a jar now?

PH

You're absolutely right about him 'having' to sell his honey, Poly. About 18 months ago there was a real shortage of local honey and most local sources had completely run out. People were phoning from miles away looking for it and I suggested to him then that could raise his prices because of the significant demand. He made a small increase that year, but only to cover his increased fuel costs. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, he's been in the business for several decades now, but there's no way I'd consider selling mine so cheap!
If mine sells at a higher price (assuming I ever get to that stage - we extracted our first 6 and a half pounds this weekend!), maybe I can show him that he is underselling it. It may be impossible though, because it always seems to be sold cheaper round here - last year I saw it was even selling at the Royal Norfolk Show at well under a fiver!

Sam, I have no idea what a reasonable price would be for local honey - I only can see what other shops sell at and try to remain competitive (I trade as a small independent greengrocer, so the profit margins all have to be as slim as possible, unlike the fancy deli stores, etc.). I guess I'll just have to start my own at a much higher price and just see how it goes...

I sell my honey for £3.50 or 3 jars for £10.
I did put the price up last year from £3 to £3.50.
I have been getting around 80lb for each hives. (2 hives)

We supply 25LB / month to our local deli in 8oz jars with the occasional 12oz chunk and cut comb container.
Prices are:
Runny honey £4 / LB
Chunk £5 / LB
Comb (8oz) £6 / LB

They mark it up by 60%.
The demand is high and the lot usually goes within 3 days- especially during the hay fever season.

Eyeman,
If it sells in 3 days and demand is high...and the shop tales 60% of your price for putting it on the shelf...
I would suggest you put your price up by 40%...

You should have no problems with finding a new supplier or gaining agreement from the shop.

all the best,
Sam

Hi Sam
We sell it to the deli for £4 / lb they sell it on for £6.20 /lb- a 60% mark-up.
We are happy with the return and like most beekeepers aren't in it for the money. It's as hassel-free arrangement with the deli with a monthly delivery and cash in hand. The feedback we get for locals in the village who buy the honey more than makes up for any potential lost profits.

I sell my honey for £3.50 or 3 jars for £10.
I did put the price up last year from £3 to £3.50.
I have been getting around 80lb for each hives. (2 hives)

Mosquito,

I'd buy your entire crop, jarred, without labels. At 3 jars for £10. I can get more than that, trade, straight into at least two farm shops within 10 miles of Crawley. I take the difference in price, which is that I sell at £4.50/jar bulk. Not only do I make a profit for no work, but I also eliminate yet another beekeeper who is underpricing to the market.

E.g. I make £1.50 for doing SFA, you do the hard work and undersell, and everyones happy?

Sounds like I could make 160lbs x £1.50 = £240 for stick a few labels on, you have less work to do, and it all goes in one hit. Better still, you could stick my labels on!

I know of at least one beekeeper who buys it from a local store, peels the label off, puts his own on, and sells it at double the price. The beekeeper who produces it must be selling it to the shop for £1.50 for something.

The post is only partially in jest. Seriously, please put your prices up to something more realistic.

At least one store in our area is selling at £7/lb. I ask the shops not to price under £6/lb in the stores I sell too.

Adam

a very interesting thread, this is my first year beekeeping and I havent had anything from 1 hive and 1 swarm yet, I hadnt thought about the price of honey really but I am sure thinking about it now.

To me this is a hobby and I think english honey is over priced.
Pluss I have an Asda right next door to me witch sell 1lb jars for £1.72.
You can even buy ASDA Smart price Clear honey 425g jars for 0.84p.

Mozzy.

Latest posts

Back