Local honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me this is a hobby and I think english honey is over priced.
Pluss I have an Asda right next door to me witch sell 1lb jars for £1.72.
You can even buy ASDA Smart price Clear honey 425g jars for 0.84p.

Mozzy.

Why not sell it for a £5 and donate the difference in price between what you want, and what the market supports to a favourite charity, cancer research, NSPCC, local hospice etc etc. Then you would not be undercutting some local (professional) beekeepers who have to make a living and you'd get double ethical points for making a charity donation.

If nothing else, why not buy some "hives saves lives" lables, which are only 10p or 20p or something and not only would it be a minor increase, but it would help support beekeepers overseas?

Adam

I think you have started something hear Mozzy the thing with honey is you have to compare like with like.
To produce the 1lb of your honey they will have to fly 50,000 miles and one bees life times work is one tenth of a tea spoon.

this is selling at £4 a jar to farm shops, caravan parks, cider shops etc, I'm happy to be gettin that price. :Angel_anim:

£4 for 12oz is what we are going to sell for - same hex jars. They look rather good!

Justifying a low honey price because you have an ASDA next door is just silly. It bears no relationship to the overall situation at all.

Charge a decent price and if you don't want the money there are lots of charities who do.

PH

OK it looks like the average price is £4.but there are people sell 1lb Jars for £2.50.

South-East Honey Survey 2009
As usual, I would like to start my report by thanking all the beekeepers that have taken the trouble to respond to my request for honey crop and price statistics.
Again, I have had the most responses ever, 244, making the statistics much more reliable.
As is normal, a number of the replies do not give sale prices for the honey, so these are correspondingly less representative.
The average take per colony was much less than last year at 35lbs per colony.
The early nectar flows were reasonable but in many areas there was continual summer rain stopping the collection of main crop honey and causing colonies to eat through any spring-collected honey.
Also, I experienced a very short season; my own bees stopped collecting nectar at the end of the first week in July, whereas previously the flow
would have continued until the first week in August, a whole month later! Many beekeepers I have asked also reported this sudden stoppage.
In the discussion below, I have made comparison with the final results from the previous survey asking the same questions about the 2008 season, so that you can compare this directly to last year’s survey.

Results 2009

· Average Honey Yield
125 replies ranging from 0.0lb to 121.3lb per colony
2009 average = 35lb (2008 = 45lb)

· Direct Sales Price (Flower):
144 replies ranging from £2.50/lb to £8.40/lb
2009 average = £3.96/lb (2008 = £3.57/lb)

· Wholesale Honey Price (Flower):
34 replies ranging from £2.50/lb to £6.00/lb
2009 average = £3.50/lb (2008 = £2.67/lb)

· Bulk Honey Price (Flower):
2 replies ranging from £2.30/lb to £2.50/lb
2009 average = £2.40/lb (2008 = £2.30/lb)

· Cut comb:
17 replies were received ranging from £4.00/lb to £10.70/lb.
2009 average = £7.78/lb (2008 = £6.95/lb)

I can't remember the website now.
But there is someone selling english honey for £50 a Jar.
And it was not Manuka Honey.

Nobody -but nobody - in the Shrewsbury area would sell for less than £4. The president of the SBKA says he insists on £4 even for bucketsful. I do not sell for less even though, in retail outlets I sell to, I see it on the shelf at £6.35 in one place and £5.95 in another. For goodness sake do not think of undercutting the going rate in the market when local honey is in such short supply. Even the Shrewsbury Flower Show say that the going price they are aiming at this year (13/14 August) is £5/lb with 15% commision and, if previous years are any example, they never have any left at the end of the show by the 80,000 expected visitors. That leaves the beekeeper with £4.25. Good enough?

Last edited:
Haha, Ponts honey - a very nice father and son setup near Lincoln who will sell you the same stuff for about £3-4 quid. Wonder if they know!

I am really in two minds about this honey price

One half of me (Yorkshire half) says yes it should be £4+ per Lb,and I make a nice profit.

and I but other half of me says (Yorkshire half) "Owwwwww Much! Never would I pay that much for a jar of honey!"

But I have relented and going for £2.70 per 8oz in hex jars or 2 for £5, which in simple terms is £5 per Lb:spam: "Owwwwww Much!!!) Never.

The prices for the cooperative sales of the local association at the flower show here this year will be:

Blossom 1lb £5.00
Blossom ½lb £2.90
Bell 1lb £6.25
Bell ½lb £3.60
Heather 1lb £6.65
Heather ½lb £4.00

Blossom is usually largely rape.

G.

Glad to see it Gavin, some sense at last about pricing.

PH

Haha, Ponts honey - a very nice father and son setup near Lincoln who will sell you the same stuff for about £3-4 quid. Wonder if they know!

Why don't you mail them and ask!?

Had 70lb from 2 hives so far

I've had 242 lbs so far from just 2 of my hives and there are still 4 supers on which are partially filled. So there - blah, blah, blah.

Latest posts

Back