lizards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
I saw at least 6 lizards sunbathing in between my apideas today. Beautiful sight but it makes me wonder: Do they prey on honey bees as well?

I saw at least 6 lizards sunbathing in between my apideas today. Beautiful sight but it makes me wonder: Do they prey on honey bees as well?

Not exclusively, but why ever not? :bump:

Would you refuse a good quality Free meal?

My apiaries have lots lizzards scurrying around all the time, their lovely creatures, occasionally find one in a nuc. (empty nuc) sure they do eat bees, also ants that climb up and make nests under the roof cover must surely be attractive too! Last year i had a permanent pair in a swarm trap, i didn't catch a swarm in in, i believe they ate the scout bees!!:eek:

No I don't but have never gotten around to do something with the colonies in them. Seems like the lizards have decided for me. all but one have perished. my bad for not taking care. As the apideas were on a pallet, I can imagine a fat bee coming back from foraging did not stand a chance... I don't mind. I will observe the lizards next time I have a chance and if they eat the bees, I might even breed some for them. beautiful creatures!

They sure are nice looking critters, if you try to catch any don't do what i did and grab it by the tail because the tail will come of in your hand and wriggle like a worm..

This one in fact didn't eat the locust on its head nor wriggle.. Depends of situation..

But we have now bunch of cats.. no lizards as before.. in fact less even locusts than before.. not to mention little furry cheese lovers..

Attachments

• li lo.jpg
    li lo.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back