Painting Apideas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldFarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Someone told me today that apideas should be painted inside and out with masonry paint. That didn't sound right to me, so I thought this might be a good place to raise the question? Also wondering if the advice changes with the cheap Chinese imports, the Swi-bine and the National Bee Supplies (brown) apideas?

It’s not a bad idea to paint them, it certainly adds protection, in differing colours it is also thought to help the returning queens. Some paint the inside of feeders to stop syrup/mould penetrating. Not sure about the apideas feeders though as I have used kieler type and they are different.

Someone told me today that apideas should be painted inside and out with masonry paint. That didn't sound right to me, so I thought this might be a good place to raise the question? Also wondering if the advice changes with the cheap Chinese imports, the Swi-bine and the National Bee Supplies (brown) apideas?
The cheaper ones need painting in my experience. The bees will chew away unpainted areas.

The cheaper ones need painting in my experience. The bees will chew away unpainted areas.
Good point. It's not just the cheaper ones they will chew on, I have a Paynes 6 frame nuc that has a lot of chomping on the floor around the mesh.

painted inside and out with masonry paint
Masonry paint is the routine recommendation but I find adhesion variable. Have in use on a project Swienty poly hives (unfortunately) painted with Dulux Weathershield and that is tough and almost like a satin gloss.

Murray McGregor of Denrosa Apairies (ITLD here) has painted thousands of poly hives and found that gloss on the exterior bonds to the poly better. I mean to try it next time.

Feeder interior can develop mould as syrup or wet sugar will seep between the poly granules. Don't bother to paint inside the the boxes: bees will do that.

6 frame nuc that has a lot of chomping on the floor around the mesh.
They're telling you they've run out of space.

Masonry paint is the routine recommendation but I find adhesion variable. Have in use on a project Swienty poly hives (unfortunately) painted with Dulux Weathershield and that is tough and almost like a satin gloss.

Murray McGregor of Denrosa Apairies (ITLD here) has painted thousands of poly hives and found that gloss on the exterior bonds to the poly better. I mean to try it next time.

Feeder interior can develop mould as syrup or wet sugar will seep between the poly granules. Don't bother to paint inside the the boxes: bees will do that.

They're telling you they've run out of space.
Second hand nucs, I didn't realise what the damage was until I read your post. The beek developed an allergy to stings and just left them until he could find someone to take them away.

Sandtex masonry paint, very good and can be sprayed (with a bit of water). If loads of time try hammerite, creates a tough plastic shell.

Latest posts

Back