LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In full flower in North London for a week, but it's only today that bees have been on it - until then too wet, too cool, too windy.

In the last 24 hours all that changed, humidity soared and bees are at work. Privet is flowering well and they're on that too.

Noticed that flowering of Tilia europaea - the ordinary lime that shoots profusely from the base - has staggered flowering, so if the muggy weather holds the flow should last.

This book is the one to get: https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...8JuSg5Mhapz4p-wOvJWtD1L2Re-AnU0hoC6IUQAvD_BwE. Frank Howes wrote six pages on limes and included a chart with flowering times.

There is an updated version of FN Howe's classic 'Plants For Bees' Publisher: International Bee Research Association ISBN: 9780860982715 by William Kirk and F N Howes; however I don't know what has been "edited out".

There is an updated version of FN Howe's classic 'Plants For Bees' Publisher: International Bee Research Association ISBN: 9780860982715 by William Kirk and F N Howes; however I don't know what has been "edited out".

Yes, Howes's Plants & Beekeeping was written in 1945 but is so good and relevant today that Kirk negotiated to absorb most of it into his Plants For Bees. I don't have my copy of that handy but I'm pretty sure that the flowering chart of different Tilia species was lost, and perhaps more.

The two limes just down the road are in flower now. I stood looking for a couple of minutes to see if I could see any bees but I saw none. There was a bumble bee flitting between flowers but it didn't rest on any for more than a few milliseconds so I guess there is no nectar to be had.

The scent is lovely, however.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea how old a lime tree has to be ...roughly ... for it to produce flowers?

Last edited:
A spot of rain this eve, hope that will help with the lime!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea how old a lime tree has to be ...roughly ... for it to produce flowers?

Best I can give is from FN Howes' Plants & Beekeeping, page 63: present day beekeepers (he was writing during the Second World War) benefit from the lime planting of their forefathers, the lime being a long-lived tree and requiring ten to fifteen years before it commences to flower.

Go on, spoil yourself: invest in a copy.

Sounds about right Eric. Thanks for your reply.
I may well try and get a copy.
I find some of the old books often contain gems which seem to have been forgotten.

I have a small leaf lime we planted in the garden in 2012 so it must be 10 years old. Last year it had a dozen flowers this year a few more.

Another Eric or is it Dani?
Thanks so much again that’s helpful.
I have six dotted about that are about twenty footers now, probably about ten to fifteen years old. Maybe this year then...?!
The tragedy is we had to chop down a fifty year old when we rebuilt the house. Although
I wasn’t beekeeping at the time I well remember the buzzing whilst sitting under it for shade.
I just found a first edition on eBay of .FN Howes book ...ta

Lime I think

image.jpeg

Found what look like two large Lime trees across the fields approximately 1.2 miles as the crow flies from my apiary, hope my bees find them !

To get pure lime honey you need an avenue of them, at least ten mature trees. The weather has to be exactly right. The year in your beekeeping life when it all comes together is unforgettable. Unfortunately I have had mine and will probably never see another! They were drawing and filling a super in a week on each hive. It was the best honey I have ever had. I have one 2oz jar left!
I know I am boring you and have said all this before but hey.... I just can't forget it!
E

I agree. There are seven large mature Limes 200m from my apiary. The very first crop I had came from them and won my association taste test! Now I am spoilt and compare all honey to that.

Earlier this morning the local limes were starting to hum a little with bees and there was that first lovely fragrant waft.... Have been hurriedly refurbing super frames outside but thunderstorms are forecast.

If you're hoping for a super of something special, do you take off the supers that are already on your hives, temporarily, if they are only partially capped, and put on a new one, or is that asking for nectar to be deposited in the brood box?

If it is a good flow they will fill both! The one thing I found is because lime never sets, if you have two different types of honey you may get it splitting with the set honey at the bottom of the jar and the runny lime at the top. I have a photo somewhere which I will try and find!
E

Best I can give is from FN Howes' Plants & Beekeeping, page 63: present day beekeepers (he was writing during the Second World War) benefit from the lime planting of their forefathers, the lime being a long-lived tree and requiring ten to fifteen years before it commences to flower.

Go on, spoil yourself: invest in a copy.

I saw a copy of FN Howes book for sale at £80 last week. You should be able to get it cheaper than that!

I have my copy in the smallest room at the moment.

£15 for a first edition.pleased with that.
Also just noticed flower buds on one of my Limes. Happy days.

Warm and sticky here on Surrey Berks boarders bees all over the limes

Warm and sticky here on Surrey Berks boarders bees all over the limes

I saw a few bumble bees on the limes this afternoon but not one honeybee.

Are there types of lime tree that honeybees avoid? If so, I think I know where there are two.

Latest posts

Back