Let's spread the news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only think you can comment on what they sell if you offer an alternative and they reject it. If no one offers them local English honey then they can't sell it.
I sell all I produce at the gate with no problem so I wouldn't be offering them mine for example!
E

Ditto..I reckon I could double output and with Facebook Marketplace still not have enough..(but be exhausted)

That would be a blended English honey much the same as if you only extracted in August. That is not the issue.
So if blending isn't the issue what is?

Fairtrade itself does not cut it with me and of course it must taste good whatever it is.
That's a shame, because all the fairtrade honeys we've sold are delicious.
But if it is taste we are talking about, then homegrown isn't always best anyway.
I won't mention any names or where it was from, but I bought several jars from different different producers whilst on holiday in the UK recently.
Most were terrific, but one can only be described as tasting like sugar syrup.
Really very disappointing.

:iagree::iagree:
One of the problems of small producers supplying local honey to a national company is the systems they have set up for their suppliers.
One of my apiaries is 100m from a NT garden that sells blended EU honey in pretty pots.
I was very keen to offer my honey but when I looked at the hoops I would have to jump through it really wasn't worth it for the sales.

Here is a success story: Michael Coe is a Suffolk beekeeper who gave an engaging talk to Romford BKA this spring to tell the story of how his Great Tilkey Honey grew to supply 43 Co-Ops in East Anglia.

That's a great story Eric, and lovely to see the support given by the CoOp.
His operation is much bigger than mine and I don't think the wife would be pleased if I spent the sort of time he must on looking after the ladies.

there is a company not far from me dispatches about six ton a day, honey from all around the world and blends as required, luckily you can only buy if your a registered company, and is shipped all over the country.

Yes, it's a difficult balancing act.
Michael managed to get both wife and son to join him on the job.

Ah he must have a different type of wife to me:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

And on the subject of family, how is your mum? (My mum was her next door neighbour) I've not been around there for ages.

Blimey, Neil, what a coincidence!

She's doing well for 88, all things considered (11 pills a day, creaks and aches, foggy memory, giving up driving, losing the plot of Midsomer Murders). Memory is dodgiest: seems surprised every time I tell her about the bees, despite having eaten their honey for fifteen years. Daily Mail and tea keep her going.

Tried once to give her pure borage honey, but she was having none of it. 'Take it away, that's not honey!'. We had an amusing yes-it-is-no-it-isn't and I took it away (always on a loser with my Polish mum; she survived a Russian labour camp at 10 and is made of stern stuff). You'll gather she likes flavour; I'm going to try her on Surrey heather.

She's doing well for 88, all things consideredDaily Mail and tea keep her going.................
my Polish mum;

Snap
My Polish mum could read the print off her Daily Mail
Sadly not with us any more......The Mum that is
Sadly the Daily Mail is. ;)

Wow...you got some./Big Grin/ Well done.
Did you get to hear the night-jars? Or see the Dartford Warblers?

I recently went on a nightjar walk up on Blackdown. Wonderful sound listening in the dark...... saw some woodcock as well..... a first for me.

Blimey, Neil, what a coincidence!

We met and had a chat about bees over the garden fence while my mum was still alive and your mum was always extolling your virtues with bees.not worthynot worthy

Well if they start burning cottages up there again we have the culprit:sifone::sifone:

Our local Tesco 's stocked some "English" honey a while back. Reading the label you could see it originated in Wales.
No longer stocked.
:paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back