Least bad method of dealing with wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treegazer

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm not a beekeeper and don't intend to be but I do care about bees! We've discovered we have a wasp issue with entry point at the corner of a window on our dormer loft conversion.. If I could just have the nest removed without insecticides I would, but that's not possible as it's not visible from either inside or outside, likely inside the wall cavity, esp given it's at height in a loft conversion. I have been reading about Ficam D (Bendiocarb) a powder which most pest control people use (for now until phased out later this year). I found one company that will use an alternative permethrin type product (Vulcan D or Deadline Pydust)... but I'm not sure that's any better and seems to persist in the environment for much longer than Ficam. Please can I ask for advice, I don't want to just let the nest run it's course as it's right by a window and we've already had multiple wasps in our living space. What I don't fully understand is if it's used by a responsible pest control person who puts it directly into the specific area (ideally into the cavity if possible), what is the risk to bees? Is it due to being blown around and settling on vegetation in the area? In which case presumably I can limit the risk by choosing a day which is very still / no winds... Is there anywhere else I can get advice, I want it treated but in the least harmful way. Thanks in advance.

The least bad method to rid wasps , is do nothing.
We need wasps as part of the eco solution , pollination , preditor of plant pests also food for other preditor species.
If a nest is chemically treated then the access point needs to be sealed to prevent access , so either pointing up with mortar or a suitable mastic/sealant used .

The least bad method to rid wasps , is do nothing.
We need wasps as part of the eco solution , pollination , preditor of plant pests also food for other preditor species.
If a nest is chemically treated then the access point needs to be sealed to prevent access , so either pointing up with mortar or a suitable mastic/sealant used .
Asking us to effectively not use a window for at least the rest of the summer in our main living space isn't very practical!! I'm looking for advice on which chemical agent is least likely to have effect on bees locally. If you're not sure do you know where I might be able to find out please? I'm trying to be as careful as I can be, and realise people on this will have a very specific angle, but hoped for some balance when the problem directly affects someones home...

Oh dear. I think I'm wasting my time on here. As I was saying I was hoping for some balance. I'll pose my question elsewhere.

I'd hoped for something a bit more supportive, coming on here as a non beekeeper trying to be considerate. I've found far more practice advice elsewhere such as the use of soapy water targeting the nuisance insect only. Wish you the best, but would like to point out you'll make far more positive impact on use of harmful insecticides if you are able to avoid taking such an extremely one-sided approach and recognise people aren't going to accept not being able to use parts of their home so the insects can carry on unabated. It's just not going to happen!!

We've discovered we have a wasp issue with entry point at the corner of a window on our dormer loft conversion..
Having a wasp nest right where people are can be dangerous. I usually live and let live but where they pose a potential threat they have to be dealt with. The simplest solution is to spray the entrance point liberally with wasp foam at night when the wasps are all at home. I’ve done it and it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back