Question on Nucleus method of swarm control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the rush they ain't going anywhere until the first queen emerges.
What had happened to the queen cell you left ?
It fits in well with the 7 day inspection plan which is why I like it and it doesn't impact the honey crop too much.
I simply misread the days in my record. I thought I'd taken the Q out on Sat, but it was Sun. I went back the following Sat, which was only 6 days

The QC I left was the emerged cell that produced the Q who led the swarm

The end result was exactly as planned, but the route was not as direct as anticipated !

I've had it where they bees have hidden a queen cell in the middle of a clump of drone cells in brace comb with just the tip showing. Also seem queen cells built from the crownboard and on the sides of the hive.
Crafty little gits sometimes.

I agree with Nigel
If you leave an open cell The queen won't emerge for 8 or more days and bees can make queen cells on 3 day larvae

Crafty little gits sometimes.
I requeened a hopelessly queen less colony with a queen under a push in cage. I let her out and the bees seemed to leave her alone. 3 days later I found her on the landing board and queen cells where the push in cage had been

As I see it, not removing most of the flying bees immediately before the new queen emerges is encouraging cast swarming. Stick to Pagden. There may not be sufficient space in a nuc box (if this were used). Pagden is fairly bomb-proof. Nothing is totally bomb-proof where live bees are concerned.

Latest posts

Back