Can anyone help please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnaleck

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. I have come on here for some advice about a honey bee nest in my cavity wall. I will start at the beginning.
Last spring someone who came to my house said I had a wasps nest in my wall but I didn't see them so I left it. Well this year I have noticed I had a lot of honey bees in my garden and noticed that they are flying in and out of the wall cavity. I'm worried about the damage they are causing to the inside and if I'm honest I am terrified of bees wasps flies moths etc. I know its crazy but I have a phobia about things that fly lol. I have spoke to a couple of places to see if they could be removed (not killed) but the pla es I have spoke to said they can't be saved and they need to kill them which I really don't want to do. One guy said to stay away from places that poison them because if all the holes aren't sealed this can cause problems to other colonies. I am at a loss what to do. It looks like they've been here 2 years now so I dread to think qhats going on inside my wall. Is there someone who can help please? I need some advice on what to do. I'm a single mum on furlough at the minute too so money is tight!

Simple answer is to leave them be, other than that try contacting your local beekeeping association. But there’s a lot work involved in a cavity removal and it’s repair.

Worth confirming that they are actually honey bees - has anyone that you've spoken to actually been out to see them, or seen a photo to confirm that they really are honey bees?
If they are masonry bees, then they wouldn't be causing any damage and you can just wait until the end of the summer and seal up the holes to stop them nesting there again next year.
Masonry bees are particularly noticeable at this time of year as they are mating.

I thought masonry bees didn't use the same holes to go into? There's been a fair few going in and out of the hole for all day. Probably for a while of I am honest. As far as I am aware they are honey bees. I will try and get a photo of them if they will let me get close to the hole.

Simple answer is to leave them be, other than that try contacting your local beekeeping association. But there’s a lot work involved in a cavity removal and it’s repair.
Will thay cause a lot of damage do you know?

In a cavity wall between 2 four inch solid walls they will not cause harm. Ian

The bees them selves won't cause any damage. Nothing they do will cause any damage. However if they are not removed properly then what is left can cause damage. the honey and old wax will entice other bees and wasps. It is a big job to remove them. I don't do it any more. You have two choices. Leave them or pay someone to do the job properly!

Post a clear pic or two of the bees if you can.
Bees in a cavity means part removal of the exterior so not a cheap job.

Post a clear pic or two of the bees if you can.
Bees in a cavity means part removal of the exterior so not a cheap job.
I will takea pic tomorrow morning. They've seemed to have calmed down for the day. Morning and early afternoon is when they seem the busiest so I will make sure I get a picture then if I can

Thanks pics are good for all to see and offer advice.

BTW if the wall is on a southerly aspect then it could well be likely that they are solitary bees, just a thought.

1. make sure you know what is in the wall.
2. IF they are honey bees, you have no problem.
I have had honey bees in my walls in 2 properties for years. Never a problem. IF they die out, other bees will empty the wall for you, the winter after, put a good seal on the area.. Do not let anyone seal up the access if there is honey in there, that is the only situation that will be a problem.
Plenty of people will offer ways of making themselves money from this non issue.
Leave the bees alone and they will leave you alone.

I thought masonry bees didn't use the same holes to go into? There's been a fair few going in and out of the hole for all day. Probably for a while of I am honest. As far as I am aware they are honey bees. I will try and get a photo of them if they will let me get close to the hole.
It's my understanding from reading somewhere that some solitary bees actually live in "villages" of individual cells behind a common entrance which can be confusing to watch. Can't recall offhand where I read it though, sorry.

The bees them selves won't cause any damage. Nothing they do will cause any damage. However if they are not removed properly then what is left can cause damage. the honey and old wax will entice other bees and wasps. It is a big job to remove them. I don't do it any more. You have two choices. Leave them or pay someone to do the job properly!
Three choices. The third is to seal them in.
If a pest control company sends someone round, they must seal the entrance in any case as otherwise the poison they use could be taken to other bees' nests by robbers after the remaining honey.

Remember donnaleck, bees are not there to cause you harm and just want to about their business rearing their young - just as we do. They are unlikely to sting you for no reason and to see bees in the garden is a welcome sight. If you are worried, don't flap your arms about to shoo them away but just walk away calmly. Occasionally a colony will be bad-tempered but this is a rare event.

It's my understanding from reading somewhere that some solitary bees actually live in "villages" of individual cells behind a common entrance which can be confusing to watch. Can't recall offhand where I read it though, sorry.
Solitary - individual entrances.

Latest posts

Back