Laurence Edwards' petition to allow the use of the word "Raw" to describe unheated, non-pressure filtered honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I avoided my BCG at school. Having a surname beginning with Z I was at the end of a very long queue and by the time I got near the front I’d watched too many people squeal and faint so I ran away.
At Vet school we were all tested before starting clinical work. There was a high proportion of positive tests in students from dairy farms.
These days TB in the UK has begun to rise due to a combination of factors. These include increased migration of people from areas of the world where TB is more common than in the UK and the increased mobility of the UK population. An ageing population and the emergence of HIV and antibiotic resistance have also added to this increase.

My father wouldn't let them give me that jab, this is back in around 1973; I still don't know why. On further thought, maybe he was treatment free? He's certainly always been an awkward sod. Good job I didn't inherit that trait. ;)

Last edited:
And another:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/local-honey-man-british-golden-honey-433546011
This one is also 'local', but for sale in Morrisons so does that mean local to the supermarket or local to the producer? If the latter then every honey on the planet is local. It's also 'Golden Honey' - not on the reserved description list IIRC. Presumably consumers are not confused by this though unless they think it has gold in it. Nevertheless, if 'raw' can't be used because it's not on the reserved description list then surely it applies to 'golden' too. Or is that taking logic too far?

Perhaps we should report them all. That'll keep TS snowed under for a while - if they do anything about it that is.

I support this idea, but given how poorly existing standards are applied I'm sure all the existing cheap dodgy supermarket honey would immediately have the word raw added to it. Given TS can't be bothered to prove it is, in fact, sugar syrup, how bothered would they be proving it isn't 'raw'. One thing I would really, really, like to see is supermarkets being forced to put country of origin on the label instead of 'blend of EU and non-EU' honey

I support this idea, but given how poorly existing standards are applied I'm sure all the existing cheap dodgy supermarket honey would immediately have the word raw added to it. Given TS can't be bothered to prove it is, in fact, sugar syrup, how bothered would they be proving it isn't 'raw'. One thing I would really, really, like to see is supermarkets being forced to put country of origin on the label instead of 'blend of EU and non-EU' honey
How's about the supermarkets supporting the UK beekeepers instead, with help to grow there beefarming businesses.
If some were backed by them perhaps we could supply more to our own market.
Alot of supermarkets get built also with such rubbish Flora planted.

How's about the supermarkets supporting the UK beekeepers instead, with help to grow there beefarming businesses.
I think if consumers saw where their honey actually comes from they would naturally make the switch to UK sourced honey. I'm sure most have no idea it comes from China or Vietnam.

There was a time when I might have agreed with that, but no longer. I worked with a certain large supermarket some years ago making ready meals. The quality of what went into them was actually very good; then accountants took over the running of the business; suddenly the quality took a nosedive as they cut every corner they could to maximise profit above all else. Has their philosophy changed? I don't think so, in fact its worse. I see it every time I look at ingredients or the quality of so called fresh foods on offer.

I avoided my BCG at school. Having a surname beginning with Z I was at the end of a very long queue and by the time I got near the front I’d watched too many people squeal and faint so I ran away.
At Vet school we were all tested before starting clinical work. There was a high proportion of positive tests in students from dairy farms.
These days TB in the UK has begun to rise due to a combination of factors. These include increased migration of people from areas of the world where TB is more common than in the UK and the increased mobility of the UK population. An ageing population and the emergence of HIV and antibiotic resistance have also added to this increase.
So that's obviously all the fault of the current government then .... :laughing-smiley-014 :eek: .. I suppose someone had ro get the blame !

The more you look the more there is. Lots on Amazon and Holland and Barrett have raw honey on the shelves.
As good law abiding citizens we really should report each and every one we find and complain - the law is the law after all and I am sure the likes of Amazon and Holland & Barrett would never wittingly infringe any trading standard. No doubt there would be a great deal of money involved though, so I expect any complaint would be carefully looked at and ignored as usual.The British are remarkably talented at ignoring some rules when it suits and then complaining when they have to play by the rules they made in the first place.

Supermarkets want guaranteed supplies. How many of us can do that?
Supermarkets tie up suppliers in contracts then drive the prices down.

And another:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/local-honey-man-british-golden-honey-433546011
This one is also 'local', but for sale in Morrisons so does that mean local to the supermarket or local to the producer? If the latter then every honey on the planet is local. It's also 'Golden Honey' - not on the reserved description list IIRC. Presumably consumers are not confused by this though unless they think it has gold in it. Nevertheless, if 'raw' can't be used because it's not on the reserved description list then surely it applies to 'golden' too. Or is that taking logic too far?
Is the local one definitely not produced in what could reasonably be considered a local area to the store it is sold in and claiming to be so? If so that would be a very straightforward matter for TS to deal with and probably should be reported.
However if it is the brand name "the local honey...." then its muddy waters I think as that's a trading name and not a claim on the product.

Supermarkets want guaranteed supplies. How many of us can do that?
Supermarkets tie up suppliers in contracts then drive the prices down.
Yes I've been on the receiving end of their strong arm tactics on many occasions ... trouble is ... there's always someone prepared to meet their terms and supply them at near or in some cases below cost.... they have incredible buying power ... and use it most to increase profits rather than benefit the consumers..

Yes I've been on the receiving end of their strong arm tactics on many occasions ... trouble is ... there's always someone prepared to meet their terms and supply them at near or in some cases below cost.... they have incredible buying power ... and use it most to increase profits rather than benefit the consumers..
Same here, but I've always refused to bow to these and hence never been a big fish in the big pond with big debts. I always left those meetings and went back to running a small company making large % profits and never borrowing money. I do the same now, sell my honey at a price I'm very happy with and pop a few bob In my savings account 😀.

I see Laurence's petition has been allowed. 21 signatures so far.!

Latest posts

Back