Large Scale Honey production.. Viable ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever, but I use brood boxes for honey, and honey boxes for brood.
. I have such system. And some combs have boath honey and brood.

And so do you over there.

It might have saved a lot of the confusion if the various unit designation was SN, DN and JN.

And then you write those onto box wall, that they are not mixed in your head.
It is called " Visual Control". Older people use to mix everything.

Then you are ready to make large scale beeholding.

It might have saved a lot of the confusion if the various unit designation was SN, DN and JN.

I only have SN and DN as I can use these in a combination to give as much or more frame cell space as the ------- sized Jumbo or deep deep or whatever those who have to reinvent the perfectly round wheel call it

Now do your Langstroth's all come in different sizes or are they standardised around the original wine crate?

In the UK Finnie I should inform you we have British Standards for everything from condoms to the colour of paint!not worthy

Yeghes da

I

Now do your Langstroth's all come in different sizes or are they standardised around the original wine crate?

Yes, all our famers and boxes are what ever. Sikin sokin as we say. (higgledy-piggledy)

boxhive.gif

Last edited:
What ever, but I use brood boxes for honey, and honey boxes for brood.
. I have such system. And some combs have boath honey and brood.

And so do you over there.

No Queen excluder then Finman, queen has unlimited access? I am just interested to know.

No Queen excluder then Finman, queen has unlimited access? I am just interested to know.

I have done that 50 years. I want that queens can do their best.

Actually many our professionals do the same but when yield season is in the middle, they put the excluder. even 1000 - hive owners.

I have done that 50 years. I want that queens can do their best.

Actually many our professionals do the same but when yield season is in the middle, they put the excluder. even 1000 - hive owners.

Agree, queen has freedom. I am sure it is another tool in the box against swarming.

Guys!If you have 50 hives, or 100 hives, how much you have store room in square metres, m2
What is the cost to build such store?
I know my rooms and my property. 30 hives is enough.

Let me give you some clue, Finnman, if you do not mind ;) Helsinki has a pretty big port, has not it?
I`m pretty sure you can find a lot of relatively good second hand see containers for a good price over there. And you normally get a good discount for delivery at a buy... I painted mine in a brilliant white color as we do not need high temperature in them when sun is up in the sky ;)

Tip of the day: a guy that will invent how to detect a swarm preparation of any colony a few days before it happens without looking inside a hive deserve a Nobel prize , big IMHO:)
P.S. I know. A flying elephant would also deserve it :)
P.P.S. Unless it dumps:smilielol5:

Last edited:
There's one here according to their claims
http://www.arnia.co.uk/product-beekeepers/
I know, I talked to George Clouston in Greenmount campus(near Belfast). Very impressive… But he`s a commercial director, thus it could not be otherwise :) I still believe there is simpler and less expensive method ;) Or let`s just wait for a mass production. Mobile phones were also very expensive in the beginning of mobile era.
Some phrases in their adds are still too… cautions though.;) “Swarm management: Identify changes in conditions and behaviour that indicate a potential swarm.”

Last edited:
Last edited:
Making money out of farming bees is possible, not easy, but definitely possible.
Going back a bit but this got me thinking. How does bee farming compare to arable farming, dairy farming, sheep farming etc? My understanding is that bee farmers aren't receiving any subsidies and yet without them many conventional farming enterprises are loss making?

Once you strip away the subsidies a lot of conventional farming receives, I expect bee farming looks pretty good - I mean some folk do make a living! How many dairy farmers are even making a profit (before subsidies) these days?

Latest posts

Back