Keeping pickled onions crisp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
A friend of my who is a connoisseur of all things pickled onion adds a flower off something that he maintains keeps his pickled onions crisp.

Anyone know what it is?

Flower is a stock.

Whole procedure is known as stock rotation.

Start with soggy onions. Finish with soggy onions.

Choosing the right type of onion at the right stage of development with a quality pickling vinegar and following proper stock rotation is more than adequate.

RAB

A friend of my who is a connoisseur of all things pickled onion adds a flower off something that he maintains keeps his pickled onions crisp.

Anyone know what it is?

I'm not putting any flowers in my underpants!

Small onions.
Proper Pickling Vinegar (used cold).
Soak peeled onions in concentrated brine solution for 24 hours (no more no less) before pickling. This stage is really necessary as it draws the moisture out of the onions and it is this that contributes most to keeping them crisp. Then rinse the onions with clean water to remove saltiness.

Eat them within the year ... they will last longer but do deteriorate.

Soak peeled onions in concentrated brine solution for 24 to 36 hours before pickling. ... Then rinse the onions with several changes of clean, cold, water to remove salt. Dry onions in a clean tea towel before packing tightly into jars and adding spiced vinegar solution.

my edits :D

Can't have beekeepers agreeing, can we?

my edits :D

Can't have beekeepers agreeing, can we?

Ahhh ... you are more fussy than I am ! But good advice and edits ... mine really never last long enough to go soft and I find the very slight salty tang (I just rinse them under a running tap in a colander) left goes really well with crisps and a ripe camembert, or better still, a soft blue cheese !

That's it ... off to the fridge - you're contributing to my waistline Joy !!

Ahhh ... you are more fussy than I am ! But good advice and edits ... mine really never last long enough to go soft and I find the very slight salty tang (I just rinse them under a running tap in a colander) left goes really well with crisps and a ripe camembert, or better still, a soft blue cheese !

That's it ... off to the fridge -

Camembert, crisps and pickled onions at this time of night? You'll have strange dreams!

I try to measure the right number of pickled onions for the jars I've got, so they don't float. Usually about 1/3 more than fresh, because they shrink when brined.

Camembert, crisps and pickled onions at this time of night? You'll have strange dreams!

Not me ... bed, pillow, sleep ... 4 hours dead to the world then ready to start again ... couldn't find the pickled onions - may be in the garage .. had to make do with Beetroot chutney ... and Brie ... looks like 'er indoors as been at the cheese box !

never bother with the brine nonsense - cover peeled onions with plenty of dry salt overnight (ideally in a colander if you have one big enough - I usually make a couple of gallon jars at the time) - rinse under a tap and dry in a tea towel. Heat up your malt vinegar with pickling spices, leave to cool and put into jar with tightly packed onions (I usually pop one whole chilli in as well for added zing). Don't put any stocks or rotations into the mix - whatever that was meant to signify.

Not me ... bed, pillow, sleep ... 4 hours dead to the world then ready to start again ... couldn't find the pickled onions - may be in the garage .. had to make do with Beetroot chutney ... and Brie ... looks like 'er indoors as been at the cheese box !
Beetroot chutney sounds interesting. Any hints at a recipe?

Malt vinegar generally has a lower ethanoic content than pickling vinegar. I prefermine in pickling vinegar.

RAB

I'll second the brining. Very important...doesn't matter whether you use just salt or brine in my experience.
I love making shallots in balsamic vinegar.....now they are gorgeous!

I'll second the brining. Very important...doesn't matter whether you use just salt or brine in my experience.
I love making shallots in balsamic vinegar.....now they are gorgeous!

You got your recipe Ericha?

I prefermine in pickling vinegar.
RAB
Proper pickling vinegar is malt vinegar, brought to the boil (which reduces the water content) with pickling spices then left to cool -Ii prefer not to use that 'non brewed condiment' muck for anything.

You got your recipe Ericha?

This is what I use.
You can increase the percentage of balsamic which gives a richer pickle but this one works for me.

1 Kg shallots
50g salt

For the spice bag I use the following
( but you can experiment. You could use a chilli to give it a little bite but I prefer not to….but I do like a little chilli in ordinary pickled onions).

I blade mace
1 teaspoon whole cloves
12 bruised allspice berries
1 large cinnamon stick
12 black peppercorns
1 piece of root ginger, maybe 5cm or so, peeled and crushed.

800ml distilled malt vinegar
2 tablespoons clear honey
400ml balsamic vinegar ….. don’t skimp here, use good quality balsamic, the better the vinegar the better the pickle.

Peel the shallots and put them into a large glass or bowl with the salt. Stir well to coat the onions, then cover and leave for 24 hours.
Tie the spices in a muslin bag, put into a saucepan with the distilled vinegar and bring to the boil.
Remove from heat, and leave to cool overnight.
Remove the spices and add the balsamic vinegar and honey to the COLD liquid.
Rinse the onions well, dry and pack into sterilised jars and add enough spiced pickling vinegar to cover completely.
Seal and store for at least two weeks before using.

Time to make some for Christmas :)

and... why are beef crisps ok for veggies but cheese & onion not!

Let's face it, most crisps have never been anywhere near real veggie or non-veggie flavouring - most are just that, flavourings.

RAB

Latest posts

Back