Jar label's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it rains on the shopping and the 'best before date' or lot number becomes illegible....

its usually so small that its illegible before it rains on it..

I print my own labels. I put a best before of 2 years in advance as recommended by the trading standards chap that came to my home. I also use batch numbers such as 8/10 which is the month and year.
It is easier to put more info on than required simply to cover yourself.
As I said in an earlier post there are still labelling requirements even if you give it away for free.

Last edited:
I put a best before of 2 years in advance as recommended by the trading standards chap that came to my home.

Craig, I think your approach is more 'honourable' than mine. I partly go for 18 months so that I can still sell through the winter and provide a reasonable life to the consumer but without fully overlapping seasons, in the hope it will be eaten up within life and I get a repeat purchase! Of course it also limits my High Quality Life liability if the date is ignored. The TSO won't necessarily have your best interests at heart of course!

As far as i am aware the clock for the sell by date doesn`t start ticking untill it is packaged for retail so it will always be in date in a storage bucket.

I may be wrong but that was how i read it.

Darren.

As far as i am aware the clock for the sell by date doesn`t start ticking untill it is packaged for retail so it will always be in date in a storage bucket.

I may be wrong but that was how i read it.

Darren.

'Sell by' date is not a legal requirement, it is an extra invented date to aid shelf stocking and control 'residual available consumer life' by retailers, you'll always find a durability code with it - usually use-by because it is a short life balance control. Only legal durability options are Use-by - perishable and then the 'best before' variants already discussed above. Life and the 'clock' starts at point of packing, from that point on the food is in final format and deterioration within the parameters of the food / environment begins.

'Sell by' date is not a legal requirement, it is an extra invented date to aid shelf stocking and control 'residual available consumer life' by retailers, you'll always find a durability code with it - usually use-by because it is a short life balance control. Only legal durability options are Use-by - perishable and then the 'best before' variants already discussed above. Life and the 'clock' starts at point of packing, from that point on the food is in final format and deterioration within the parameters of the food / environment begins.

You are right Rosti, I meant "best before" rather than "sell by".

Darren

Latest posts

Back